Maxtek

What classifies a car as a sports car?

I was having a conversation about this with my friends recently after one of them keeps saying that his Hyundai Coupè 2L SE is a sports car...

All of us but him agree that the Hyundai is not a sports car but we can't come to a proper conclusion of what a sports car actually is. I'd say for example that an M3 is a sports car and the rest of the 3 Series models are sporty cars but not sports cars. I'd also say that all BMW's are drivers cars but that sort of depends on the person driving it.

What do you think and what would you say denotes a sports car?

2 (+2 at a push) seats, 2 doors, 0-60 in less than 5 secs and can take a corner - that's in my opinion, a sports car. Engine size doesn't play a part because lotus/caterham etc have showed small engined lightweight cars are just as quick as bigger engined lardy cars.

Years ago a sports car was 2 seats, 2 doors and a quicker than normal engine. Nowadays you can get a 4 door, 4 seater family fun bus that can set your hair on fire. It all depends what you want and how you use it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i think traditionally all high perfomance cars were mostly 2 doors and seen as sports cars. but like mentioned above some estates can give you a high bp. so now cars are placed in high perfomance cars e.g Ms, AMGS, RSs, Ferraris etc and your sports coupe in this category all 2doors. would not even say 2+2 as now we have cars like A7, CLS etc that are 2+2

my definition is: a sports car is a 2 seat 2 door car and can be anything from an MG midget to a Ferrari California and doesn't have to be that powerful.

in this category i break them down again into classic, fun, performance and supercar.

take for example a BMW Z3 1.8 - fun sports roadster then a BMW Z8 - (can fall into more than one category) a classic supercar sports roadster.

this is just my view and i'm sure others will disagree.