hass0250

Real life MPG difference between 320d and 330d

Exactly mine 330d got a remap and my days it pulls and pulls

ive had

325ci

330ci

now a 330d remapped

trust me the 330d wipes the floor with them both oh and buying a 325 or a 330ci isn't a hard choice as there is basically sod all between them 

i can give that experience as I owned 325 msport 4 year and 330ci 1 year

35 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

Exactly mine 330d got a remap and my days it pulls and pulls

ive had

325ci

330ci

now a 330d remapped

trust me the 330d wipes the floor with them both oh and buying a 325 or a 330ci isn't a hard choice as there is basically sod all between them 

i can give that experience as I owned 325 msport 4 year and 330ci 1 year

Your 330ci was a slushmatic though no? Are you comparing a manual 325ci with an auto 330ci (with its power sapping torque convertor)?

Appreciate your remapped 330d is no doubt faster than my 330ci but going for the derv isn't for everyone.

Personally I wouldn't have one because:

• I don't do 20k a year
  • I don't need to tow anything
  • I don't like the sound of diesels (yes I know the 6 pot sounds slightly better)
  • The common problems and cost of parts for any common rail derv
  • I don't like the power delivery - the torque just comes in one big lump and I much prefer something progressive with more throttle adjustibility

But most of all I don't want to be one of those people who heads down the pub and tells everyone how my mapped 330d gets 40mpg and can still pull an M3's pants down ;) 

Back on topic MPG wise I imagine it will depend entirely on the mileage you do. If its all motorway you probably won't see much difference but there could be a big difference doing town driving.

Edited by ben.embrey

No they were both tronic 325 and 330, my brother has owned manual 325 and manual 330ci also and the difference isn't a lot, Infact the auto launches a lot better off the line than the manual (yes we could go into its all down to driver but with me driving both but that's my experience) 

the 330d sound brilliant and it's doesnt rattle or give loads of noise like most Diesel engines. Also it doesn't smoke it's ARSE off like most diesels mapped as the map is set up correctly and not just some dtuk box.

i only do 5k per year and I took the step because of that exactly 260 bhp 350 lbs torque and 40mpg at the same time, it was something I thought why get 18/22mpg in the 325/330ci when I can have a lot more power and still 40mpg, I've got to say Ben mine doesn't dump all torque at once the map is very progressive and delivers all through the Rev range mate.

my brother sold his m3 and went for the 330d, the m3 isn't all that impressive niether, all Rev but do sound amazing on open throttle but a lot gets past them these says and to get 14 mpg with a shed load of common expensive faults they arnt worth it in my opinion.

i admit my 330d is manual but the autos 325/330ci to the manual 325/330ci I much preferred the auto in the straight 6 petrol, but that's my personal choice.

Edited by Damo88

10 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

No they were both tronic 325 and 330, my brother has owned manual 325 and manual 330ci also and the difference isn't a lot, Infact the auto launches a lot better off the line than the manual (yes we could go into its all down to driver but with me driving both but that's my experience) 

the 330d sound brilliant and it's doesnt rattle or give loads of noise like most Diesel engines. Also it doesn't smoke it's ARSE off like most diesels mapped as the map is set up correctly and not just some dtuk box.

i only do 5k per year and I took the step because of that exactly 260 bhp 350 lbs torque and 40mpg at the same time, it was something I thought why get 18/22mpg in the 325/330ci when I can have a lot more power and still 40mpg, I've got to say Ben mine doesn't dump all torque at once the map is very progressive and delivers all through the Rev range mate.

my brother sold his m3 and went for the 330d, the m3 isn't all that impressive niether, all Rev but do sound amazing on open throttle but a lot gets past them these says and to get 14 mpg with a shed load of common expensive faults they arnt worth it in my opinion.

i admit my 330d is manual but the autos 325/330ci to the manual 325/330ci I much preferred the auto in the straight 6 petrol, but that's my personal choice.

I don't believe any of the above.

Autos are slower than manuals.

Diesels don't sound better than their petrol equivalent.

Turbo diesels don't have progressive power delivery (by that I mean its very linear throughout the rev range) 

Your 330d isn't quicker than an M3.

As I said different strokes for different folks - I prefer to use the gears a bit more than yourself by the sounds of it.

Ben did I say 330d quicker than m3? Anywere? I stayed my brother went from the m3 to the 330d due to the unimpressed performance from the m3 and even 3 viewers came and thought the same and we viewed 8 m3s our selfs, he preferred the sort of delivery from the 330d his personal preference again the only reason he got the m3 was because he always wanted to own one.

Dont believe it but I can sit here and say I've owned all of them and can give my opinion

yes it is progressive ask Daz and craig09 they will tell you as they also owned the 330d mapped

did I say anywere of the Diesel engine sounding better than petrol?? 

Did I say the Diesel engine sounds great and not like any other diesels?

no autos arnt "slower than manuals" top end yes but anything upto is isn't and yes they are quicker off the line as I've owned all and my brother so we've done plenty of our own tests

not anywhere am I looking for stokes end of the day they are old cars that are cheap, I've got nothing to brag about and don't want to, just giving my personal experience, you would if you and a family member or friend owned all of the above

Edited by Damo88

Of course your working the gears lol it goes upto 6k on the Rev limit and m3 goes right through to 9k and 330ci 7k not saying that.

but it doesn't dump all torque at once, it's smooth from 1.5k to 5k yes maybe short but it doesn't "dump all at once"

Edited by Damo88

53 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

Ben did I say 330d quicker than m3? Anywere? I stayed my brother went from the m3 to the 330d due to the unimpressed performance from the m3 and even 3 viewers came and thought the same and we viewed 8 m3s our selfs, he preferred the sort of delivery from the 330d his personal preference again the only reason he got the m3 was because he always wanted to own one.

Dont believe it but I can sit here and say I've owned all of them and can give my opinion

yes it is progressive ask Daz and craig09 they will tell you as they also owned the 330d mapped

did I say anywere of the Diesel engine sounding better than petrol?? 

Did I say the Diesel engine sounds great and not like any other diesels?

no autos arnt "slower than manuals" top end yes but anything upto is isn't and yes they are quicker off the line as I've owned all and my brother so we've done plenty of our own tests

not anywhere am I looking for stokes end of the day they are old cars that are cheap, I've got nothing to brag about and don't want to, just giving my personal experience, you would if you and a family member or friend owned all of the above

Sounds like your brothers M3 was a s**tter then

My best mates got one - he averages about 22mpg and not much gets past it. As for the reliability you mentioned he's had it a year now and not had any problems with it. I've driven it 3 / 4 times and I certainly wouldn't describe it as "unimpressive"

Are you telling me your 330d has been mapped to drive like a petrol car? Or just progressive as far as turbo diesels go?

Regarding the gears thing I don't think you do need to work them much in a derv. They seem to pick up just as well if your going 1500rpm than if your going 3500rpm. Whenever I've driven one I've found I ended up just leaving it in top gear and over taking. I'd describe it as a lazy drive.

Edited by bennno2005

44 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

Of course your working the gears lol it goes upto 6k on the Rev limit and m3 goes right through to 9k and 330ci 7k not saying that.

but it doesn't dump all torque at once, it's smooth from 1.5k to 5k yes maybe short but it doesn't "dump all at once"

Can you hit 6k rpm in your 330d?

The rev limit on my 330ci is only 6500rpm and I've never seen an S54 hit 9k either

3 hours ago, bennno2005 said:
  • I don't do 20k a year

I don't really think this applies any more to be honest. There's 2p a litre difference between the two fuels these days. Costs just as much to fill up a 330d as it does a 330i and the 330d will go further on a tank, even round town.

I'm not going to profess that the 30d is the fastest thing out there, it isn't. In fact because I still have my Fiesta ST as weekend/track car, I bought the touring specifically as a daily - nice comfortable auto cruiser with loads of toys lol

12 minutes ago, bennno2005 said:

Can you hit 6k rpm in your 330d?

The rev limit on my 330ci is only 6500rpm and I've never seen an S54 hit 9k either

Red line is at 5k in a 330d, IIRC

For a diesel Ben not a petrol Christ when my stage 4 Astra vxr was runnin 430 bhp that map was so progressive but was live mapped.

my brother wasn't a s**tter tho we test drove a good few but the thing is they are never the power they say they are, my mate has his hub dyno at 323 bhp. Not naf issues or Vanos issues either.

when my bro put the sport on it would Rev to just almost 9k without sport on it would Rev to 8k, he found gear change at 8k to change and keep the consistent power going.

mine doesn't hit 6k it goes to 5k without loosing the dip when i change at 5 and plant it still keeps the smooth power not dieing off.

Edited by Damo88

22 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

when my bro put the sport on it would Rev to just almost 9k without sport on it would Rev to 8k, he found gear change at 8k to change and keep the consistent power going.

Well that's b******s all the sport button does is sharpen up the throttle response.

And you did say before your 330d redlines at 6k......

Anyway, lets get these chaps get back on topic :)

Edited by bennno2005

It's not b******t the dyno sheet is on m3 cutters, I've got the dyno Of the m3 off sport and on sport and the extra power curve on the hub dyno you really are clueless

you need to re read, I stated my Rev range is 6k I didn't state it revs to 6k, like 9k on m3 and 7-8k what ever on 330ci

It increases throttle response on 325/330ci but not m3 it is proven to increase the extra power curve, go on m3 cutters and ask all them and come back ?

ok take care bud speak soon :-)

Edited by Damo88

4 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

I've got the dyno Of the m3 off sport and on sport and the extra power curve you really are clueless

you need to to re read I stated my Rev range is 6k I didn't state it revs to 6k, like 9k on m3 and 7-8k what ever on 330ci

jesus ur a head mash

Rev limit on an E46 M3 is 8000 RPM, whether you've got the sport button on or not so as I said before what you said is b******s.

The sport button does nothing but sharpen up throttle response. I'm sure google would back me up on this.

If your car doesn't rev to 6k how the hell have you got a 6k rev range brains?

Edited by bennno2005

8 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

The Full range is 6k it states 6k, just because I said that doesn't mean it revs to its full range

jesus get back to school

Haha

Rev range is the range throughout which your car revs (sort of self explanitory)

The numbers on the clocks are a means of measuring your rev range and don't necessarily represent the rev range.

Edited by bennno2005