hass0250

Real life MPG difference between 320d and 330d

2 minutes ago, Damo88 said:

Just what I said then Lmao

thanks for the moron comment very mature

Its not what you said - you said your car has a 6k rev range.

Your car doesn't have a 6k rev range. It has a rev range of about 4000rpm (i.e 1000rpm to 5000rpm)

God its like pulling teeth. I'll edit out the moron comment but thanks for telling me to go back to school....Responded to your PM anyways ;) 

Edited by bennno2005

2 minutes ago, Damo88 said: Just what I said then Lmao

thanks for the moron comment very mature

Its not what you said - you said your car has a 6k rev range.

Your car doesn't have a 6k rev range. It has a rev range of about 4000rpm (i.e 1000rpm to 5000rpm)

God its like pulling teeth. I'll edit out the moron comment but thanks for telling me to go back to school....Responded to your PM anyways [emoji6] 

Surly you have to include 0-1000 rpm?

17 hours ago, Damo88 said:

No they were both tronic 325 and 330, my brother has owned manual 325 and manual 330ci also and the difference isn't a lot, Infact the auto launches a lot better off the line than the manual (yes we could go into its all down to driver but with me driving both but that's my experience) 

the 330d sound brilliant and it's doesnt rattle or give loads of noise like most Diesel engines. Also it doesn't smoke it's ARSE off like most diesels mapped as the map is set up correctly and not just some dtuk box.

i only do 5k per year and I took the step because of that exactly 260 bhp 350 lbs torque and 40mpg at the same time, it was something I thought why get 18/22mpg in the 325/330ci when I can have a lot more power and still 40mpg, I've got to say Ben mine doesn't dump all torque at once the map is very progressive and delivers all through the Rev range mate.

my brother sold his m3 and went for the 330d, the m3 isn't all that impressive niether, all Rev but do sound amazing on open throttle but a lot gets past them these says and to get 14 mpg with a shed load of common expensive faults they arnt worth it in my opinion.

i admit my 330d is manual but the autos 325/330ci to the manual 325/330ci I much preferred the auto in the straight 6 petrol, but that's my personal choice.

surely its got a bit more ftlbs than 350,im on 420 ftlbs running around 265 bhp,standard is 330ftlbs i think

16 hours ago, bennno2005 said:

Sounds like your brothers M3 was a s**tter then

My best mates got one - he averages about 22mpg and not much gets past it. As for the reliability you mentioned he's had it a year now and not had any problems with it. I've driven it 3 / 4 times and I certainly wouldn't describe it as "unimpressive"

Are you telling me your 330d has been mapped to drive like a petrol car? Or just progressive as far as turbo diesels go?

Regarding the gears thing I don't think you do need to work them much in a derv. They seem to pick up just as well if your going 1500rpm than if your going 3500rpm. Whenever I've driven one I've found I ended up just leaving it in top gear and over taking. I'd describe it as a lazy drive.

you do have to work the gears in the 330d,and remapped one,its the way the gears are set,for example my focus st runnin g over 300 bhp and 360 ftlbs is way better at driving in high gears,i can drive it in 6th and dont need to change down as much as my 330d,not good for clutch and drivetrain,so i dont do it, ,as thats why i have a manual, and not an auto,as i think they are s**te,if i did start stop traffic all the time ,then id consider an auto,also, the derv will not rev into 6k,you can sit and rev it in first,yehit will just go past 5k,but in 4th 5th 6th,at 6k, no.it would of bounced off the limiter and car would be going backwards, at 5k revs,driving a derv is all about the torque curve,keep it in the zone and it will be quicker,drive it like a petrol and bounce it off the rev limiter then you will go backwards compared to some driving alongside you in the zone.

Edited by rasa

Back on topic...

I've owned a 330cd and now own a 320cd both manual, standard & then mapped.

My average mpg on the 330cd 38 mpg and 47mpg on the 320cd. I find it very easy to increase the mpg on the 320cd by driving slow I can see over 50+mpg with ease. I found it difficult to Average more than 42mpg with the 330cd no matter how I drove.

When I bought my 330d I`d just test driven a 320d for about 8 miles.... once in the 330d it took 300yds to decide it was the one to buy!. 7years later im still happy with my choice even if I do lose 5or 10mpg!!!

Having owned a 320cd for 2.5 years and now a 330cd for almost 6 months there is an MPG difference.

Realistically I was getting 600 miles from brimmed to red light coming on in the summer, 550 in winter. 650-700 on a motorway run. I could sit on cruise at 85 mph and it would still get over 650 miles. Average was around 44 mpg on the 320cd. I echo Craig above and say you could drive the 320cd harder and see a better return. It felt livelier too.

The 330cd is a big powerhouse and takes awhile to work out how to drive it efficiently. It really kicks in at 2400 upwards where it shifts (cant wait to get it mapped!) But below 2k there is little torque for fuel economy. For the same journey as I was doing in my 320cd I am getting 450 miles to a tank currently though hoping that will stretch to 500 in the summer. Motorway run at 75 on cruise I have got 530 to a tank but this was before my decat. Average for commuting is 36-37mpg which is a bit less than I thought it was going to be.

The journey to work for me is 17 miles each way at least 5 days a week with 5 miles being town then 60mph hilly B roads.

A chap called Tom on here is getting 600 miles out of his 330cd whilst doing a lot of motorway.

BMW made their diesels drive like a petrol. Why I say this is every diesel I have driven (VAG, Vauxhalls, Fords, etc) have plenty of ooomph off the line and feel gutsy down low. They dont like to rev and run out of puff at 3k! Both the M47N and M57N will rev easier and go for longer before changing. Its no M3 but for daily driveability Id much rather have a diesel than petrol. I had an e46 320i for a few days while my 330cd was in for work and I found it naff.

I've been wanting to reply to this thread but ran out of time.

I really am suprised just how frugal my 330cd lump is. I've owned it for 5/6 months now and done over 10k in her.

^ What dooge said +50 miles though! I would imagine in real terms a 320cd would give about ~5MPG more.

I do a fair bit of motorway usually a relatively nice 250 miles at 65-70mph, but from after that It's just my regular commute which is 2 miles normal traffic roads, 30 miles of motorway that takes 30 mins, and the last 3 miles of my journey takes me 30 minutes also! So it's really s**t on the car. (Ends up about 70 miles a day as I'm also picking someone up on the way home.. more traffic!)

This week I went out on site and had to follow someone from work, and he didn't hang about for 20 odd miles, usually I do drive pretty economically but I always put my foot down now and again to clear the old girl out, or see a nice bit of road / corsa rudeboi and it just has to be done!

This tank I've even been xmas shopping twice, queued to park in a multi-storey twice.. driven around town etc..

I have a whole album on my phone of dash mileage pics, I haven't seen less than 620 miles to a tank since my thermostats were replaced. Which works out to what, 46.5-48+MPG based on a 63 litre tank. I don't ever get more than 59 litres in though! 

20151218_084436_zpsbmw4gkml.jpg

I done Edinburgh to Rotherahm and back to Edinburgh non stop today in 9 hrs. Round trip of just under 500 miles. Trip counter showing 191 miles left still got a quarter tank. 330 just sips fuel on the motorway and effortless on the twisty stuff. 

Pretty astounded that was my first big run since I bought the saloon in August. I expected I'd have to stop for fuel on the way back but nope I could have hit Aberdeen lol ?

On 11/12/2015, 15:09:01, bennno2005 said:

Sounds like your brothers M3 was a s**tter then

My best mates got one - he averages about 22mpg and not much gets past it. As for the reliability you mentioned he's had it a year now and not had any problems with it. I've driven it 3 / 4 times and I certainly wouldn't describe it as "unimpressive"

Are you telling me your 330d has been mapped to drive like a petrol car? Or just progressive as far as turbo diesels go?

Regarding the gears thing I don't think you do need to work them much in a derv. They seem to pick up just as well if your going 1500rpm than if your going 3500rpm. Whenever I've driven one I've found I ended up just leaving it in top gear and over taking. I'd describe it as a lazy drive.

you do have to work the gears in the 330d,and remapped one,its the way the gears are set,for example my focus st runnin g over 300 bhp and 360 ftlbs is way better at driving in hiugh gears,i can drive it in 6th and dont need to change down as much as my 330d,not good for clutch and drivetrain,so i dont do it,and work the gears ,as thats why i have a manual, and not an auto,as i think they are s**te,if i did start stop traffic all the time ,then id consider an auto,also, the derv will not rev into 6k,you can sit and rev it in first,yeh,but in 4th 5th 6th,at 6k,it would of bounced off the limiter and car would be going backwards...once upto temp and in 6th gear most of the time and doing a long distance,then the 330d is great,but so is any other car.

Typically around town you're looking at 5mpg better with a 320d, remember the 330d is pretty much same engine just with 2 extra cylinders so at 30mph the 330d will be working a little less harder than the 320d which explains why the mpg between the two are so similar.

Diesels like to run at a constant speed to get the best savings out of them, I was doing short journeys with stop start driving around town and I live in a hilly area which brought my mpg down to 30 (400 miles from a tank), I wasn't getting the full benefit of a diesel which is why I sold mine.

The 320d will always get better mpg than the 320i, and the 330d vs the 330i - regardless of how many miles a year you do

Who cares what MPG you get? If people are that bothered get a 320d, I'd sooner have more power. I agree the 330d is quicker mapped but I'd still sooner have 330ci 

Bet you you won't beet my last family car, w164 brabus ml diesel. Running 388hp 900 torque. Hit 60 it just over 5 seconds. Not bad for a big bus.  Really bad fuel consumption averaged 16mpg and chewed through tyre's