wrighty338

Upgrading from dynavin

Looking for headunit recommendations on upgrading from the old style dynavin to something else. Must have satnav, 7' screen, bluetooth and steering control. Will also be looking for it to be DAB if possible

I see quite a few android units on ebay for cheap but are they any good? 

On 12/12/2015, 12:47:19, wrighty338 said:

Looking for headunit recommendations on upgrading from the old style dynavin to something else. Must have satnav, 7' screen, bluetooth and steering control. Will also be looking for it to be DAB if possible

I see quite a few android units on ebay for cheap but are they any good? 

I just bought a Eonon GA5150F, couple of teething troubles with the Wifi dropping out sometimes when tethered to my Samsung phone, think I might have cured it by changing a few Wireless settings. also the connector was too tight so I spent a very frustrating hour or so trying to fix it without knackering anything. If yours has the Business head unit conneciton with the roun pins this might be an issue for you too.

Overall I'm very impressed for the price though (£211 with Christmas discount, bought off Eonon on Ebay), boot time is about 25 seconds, but you can set a delay before it fully shuts down again (it can slepp like a PC), so once it's cold booted, if you're doing short trips, and not leaving it too long, it will warm boot, which only takes a few seconds.

Steering control works perfectly, and it looks the part too, very "premium factory" styling.

It's a complex unit,  as all Androids will be, and won't be as stable as a dedicated head unit, due to running Android, so might have occasional small niggles (or possibly big ones).

So far, I give it 8/10 for price vs. performance.

If you want DAB, you could try the Navall DAB+ box. This has an Android app that makes it compatible with non Navall stereos, if they have Android, a USB, and aux. in ports. I've not got good reception yet with mine, seems the supplied film aerial needs to be vertical, and on the windscreen it's not vertical enough, going to try a powered DAB splitter next. As for the DAB interface with the Navall, it's basic but okay. I haven't tested it with the steering wheel controls yet for changing station. You can get it here, this is the cheapest I found: http://75andzt.com/Optional_Addons/DAB-DAB-External-receiver-for-Android-Head-units 

I don't think I would pay their prices for external aerials though!

Maybe not, it will cost extra for the DAB box. If I can get decent reception with the DAB splitter then I would say it's worth getting - will find out in a few days. The interface for the DAB software isn't too bad, and DAB is a lot better than FM radio imo.

I also received an invoice from TNT for £60 for customs charges for the Eonon bought off Ebay, I knew this might happen, so this bumps up the cost a bit.