Mr_Beemer

2003 Powerfold Mirrors Not Working

Hello, 

I have a Facelift 2003 330ci and my powerfold mirrors have stopped working. I cannot adjust the angle of either the drivers or passenger mirror and they do not fold up. The passenger side mirror auto dips when the car is placed in reverse - regardless of whether the passenger or drivers side mirror has been selected using the switch. I have checked the fuse (no:57) and this is fine. I think it could be the switch (red/purple base).

I have done a search and could find any previous posts where such symptoms were encountered and the issue rectfied. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue and managed to resolve it. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Regards

Mr_Beemer

The problem you have is identifying which version of mirrors you have.

Mine is a late 2005 and has the ribben cables. I found BMW who did many recalls on my mirrors had trapped the ribben between the mirror and the door causing it to break.

Mine had exactly the same symptoms as yours. But when I was investigating, many pointed towards to module in the door.

Do yourself a favour and remove the electric mirrors switch from the door and see what colour this is. Postage a pic of it.  This will tell you what you have (electric folding memory etc) and then post a pic of the cables. I had to remove my door card to find the ribbon part, you might be able to dismantle the mirror to see.

Once you know which type you have. You can start investigation.

I would remove the drivers side completely and check for any damage. The drivers side powers and controls the passenger. So always start with the drivers side.

Hi mboon,

I removed the switch - I have the maroon/red switch base. I have electric folding mirrors with memory. I havent had the chance to remove the door panel or mirror as of yet, perhaps on the weekend.

Did your car have the maroon/red switch base? When you say the ribbon gets caught between the door and mirror, whereabouts? Did you manage to find the break in the ribbon and repair this?

Thank you for your help and sorry about the additional questions. I have read about people suffering from broken ribbon related issues, but posts dont say how the issue was resolved. I would imagine it is possible to solder any breaks in the ribbon.

Regards

Mr_Beemer

Hi,

I have the same as you but on a September 2005 car. My definitely had ribben, yours could be either so would need to take it a part to confirm. 

I managed to fix mine. I removed the whole mirror Base from the car and found it had been trapped between the mirror Base and the door.

I work in IT and know my way around a soldering iron. I would say it's a bit hit or miss though as ribbon is exactly that and hard to connect too. If it is ribbon and it's damaged, you might be looking at replacing the whole mirror or certainly the ribbon part of it.

You can tell when you remove the door card which ones you have