dan76

Egr vacuum or software explaination

hi all

any advice appreciated

I have 2003 320d e46 which I recently had remapped with egr delete and decat at front and all went well for 1 month

I decided that as the egr still had the vacuum pipe connected I would plug it up as I thought it must still be working after all its mechanical and don't see how software can disable it

After 2 minutes the engine management light came on and despite reconnecting the pipe its still on,,,,,,,I contacted the garage to confirm egr was disabled and he says a vacuum change will have triggered the engine management light, 

does this sound right and can software only disable the egr even though it works off vacuum

thanks

dan

Sounds like the EGR hasn't been deleted as part of the remap.  The 'removal' should stop the car requesting EGR via vacuum, however I'd imagine most mappers just remove whatever causes the EML to illuminate.  The EML will extinguish after a few drives with the EGR reconnected.  Take it back.

when I had my egr mapped out, the mapper requested that the vacuum pipe be disconnected beforehand so that the warning light would be illuminated. he then fiddled around with it until he got the light to go out. prob best to take it back while the vacuum is disconnected & ask them to switch warning light off.

19 hours ago, dan76 said:

hi all

any advice appreciated

I have 2003 320d e46 which I recently had remapped with egr delete and decat at front and all went well for 1 month

I decided that as the egr still had the vacuum pipe connected I would plug it up as I thought it must still be working after all its mechanical and don't see how software can disable it

After 2 minutes the engine management light came on and despite reconnecting the pipe its still on,,,,,,,I contacted the garage to confirm egr was disabled and he says a vacuum change will have triggered the engine management light, 

does this sound right and can software only disable the egr even though it works off vacuum

thanks

dan

seeing as your var is 2003,im sure the egr would not cause a light on dash,had mine mapped out my 53 plate over two nyears ago,but before that ,i had the vaccum plugged and had no light,its a 330d but euro 3,yours would be euro 3 also,uless im missing the label.