sdjfaulkes

what headlights are these?

I've tried the search, and google, and other bmw forums but cant find a definitive answer, I'd really appreciate if someone could tell me what headlights these are? Xenon? OEM? aftermarket? etc etc.

If the photo isn't good enough I'll try and get a close up. Thanks very much

image1 (003).jpg

they look like standard oem facelift coupe lights, same as mine. looks like someone has fitted some of those angel eye ring thingies inside them though.

29 minutes ago, coop said:

they look like standard oem facelift coupe lights, same as mine. looks like someone has fitted some of those angel eye ring thingies inside them though.

cheers for the reply - that's what I can't work out...

On low beam - both lights have an illuminated outer ring, the outside lamps are lit with what looks like xenon light, and the inside lamps are off

On full beam - both lights have an illuminated outer ring glow, the outside lamps are lit with what looks like xenon light, and the inside lamps are lit with what looks like halogen

So I assumed they were just xenon lights (as opposed to bi-xenon) but not sure where the illuminated outer ring (i,e angel-eye/halo effect) bit comes from - is it standard or aftermarket etc..??

There are so many options and I just cant work it out. 

yeah someone has been messing around with them I reckon, fitting aftermarket angel eyes and xenons etc., cos they look like standard non-xenon headlights to me.

the oem xenon headlight units are a different colour inside I think [i.e. the black plastic parts around the lights aren't black, or something like that]

29 minutes ago, coop said:

yeah someone has been messing around with them I reckon, fitting aftermarket angel eyes and xenons etc., cos they look like standard non-xenon headlights to me.

the oem xenon headlight units are a different colour inside I think [i.e. the black plastic parts around the lights aren't black, or something like that]

well they auto level, which I believe is a function of xenon headlights, and there is no 'scroll' on the inside of the car to manually adjust the level of the headlight which I believe is normal with halogen / non-xenon so I think they were factory xenon lights, but have been fitted with aftermarket angel eyes. 

I just found a post of someone installing angel eyes on and they came on a complete unit with black plastic which might explain your comment about the different colour. 

Either way, I hadn't until now realised angel eyes were an aftermarket addition. So thank you. 

managed to find the original purchase order with the list of optional extras, which includes xenon headlights. So the xenon definitely factory fitted, but clearly the angel eyes are a new addition. thanks

Bi-Xenon means the Xenon headlight has a shutter on it. If you push the indicator stalk away from you the shutter should open and instead of the clean cut line of light you get - the xenon light just floods everything in front of you. Good for blinding people! lol

That car looks absolutely beautiful!!

Mines a 52 and looks quite dated next to that, thought the facelift was later than 03 tho?

any way of getting a 52 plate to look like this or is it more than just the lights that were facelifted?

Edited by Thurlow99

They are standard bi-xenon headlights that someone has fitted angel eyes to. All facelift coupé/convertible xenon headlights are bi-xenon, you can't get non bi's on the facelifts. The inner halogen lamp illuminates alongside the bi-xenon lamp. You can code this out though if required.