negev

Fun with scammers!

Anyone who's listed a car online for sale has probably got the scam emails from people wanting to pay with paypal so they can steal the car.  Has anyone on here managed to troll them in entertaining ways?  Here's a convo I've got going with one of these scummy people right now.  I suspected it was a scam from the very first message.. they don't try very hard do they?  I mean really, I know 6yo's who could put on a more convincing con than this.  At least it's free entertainment though :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,
 has sent you the following message:
do you still have the Car for sale?pls msg me rayedmond044@gmail.com
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes I do
Ok, kindly send me your last asking price?
Await your response,
Cheers.
The price is on the advert, you're welcome to make an offer if you'd like and I'll consider it.
Mate, please let me know your firm price please?
(I sent him a price £200 above the price on the advert)
Am ok with the price....I will send you the money and wait till your money clears, once payment clears they will come for the pick up.My only quickest payment option right now is PayPal as I prefer to use paypal for most online transactions, because it is not always secure to share your bank account details with people, You can easily get money in your paypal and transfer it into your bank account.Moreover i can wait till payment confirmation clear before the pick up.. Thanks
Dear Ray,

I'm tempted to go ahead but I'm a bit unsure as it seems odd that you'd be happy to buy a car you haven't seen or driven, and even more odd that you're apparently happy to pay £200 above the price listed on the advert after asking me for my "firm price".

I'll need a bit of evidence that you're completely serious, so please send me a photograph of your ear with the words "I AM TOTALLY SERIOUS MARK" tattooed across it, with a duck or pigeon somewhere in the background as additional verification.

Once I have that I'll be happy to go ahead, and my concerns that you are in fact a scammer of extremely poor skills will be alleviated.

Kind regards,
Mark

I will update here if I get any more responses.  Would love to see other trolling attempts, especially successful ones :)

Edited by negev

Lol great thread, going to enjoy watching all this unfold, I often wonder how many people fall for this crap.

Over the last 15 years I've bought and sold an awful lot of cars, over 100, and have had many of these kind of offers, unfortunately for this thread I've never followed any up.

I did however have a couple once steal some cash back from me by distracting me within my own home, cheeky bastards, I'll never turn my back on anyone again when there's cash in the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't worry about the seeing or the pick up,my shipping agent will be coming to pick it up.I'll like you to send me your address so that my shipping agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary things....more so,send me your PayPal details(PayPal email) so i can pay in.

Await your response.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi,

Ok if you're serious, send the PayPal payment as a GIFT to: ***EMAIL***.  It must be sent as a gift, if you send it as payment for goods or services then there is no deal and I will return the payment immediately.

Mark
Mate, my paypal email is rayedmond044@gmail.com
That's the same email address you're already emailing from.. why are you telling me this?
send me an invoice to me so i can make it
No, I can't do that.  You have to send it as a gift.

1. Go to "Send and Request"

2. Click on "send money to friends and family"

3. Put this address in: ***EMAIL***

4. Set the amount we agreed on

When I receive the payment and have confirmed with paypal that it was sent as a gift then we can talk further.

Thanks,
Mark

If this works I will let him collect the car haha

I received a bunch of fake paypal emails overnight, trying to get me to send a moneygram to someone in order to "release the funds"..

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have just completed the payment and i expected PayPal to have notified you to this effect.kindly check your email folders (INBOX and SPAM FOLDER) i sent £3,330 in all.i added £330 but £300 will be sent to my agent in USA through money gram at any money gram outlet,the extra £30 is to cover the money gram fee. So you simply get back to paypal with the money gram details for verification once you have transfer the shipper commission fees to them and also do get back to me with your residence home address so that i can forward it to my agent and they can come for the pick up for me on time. Here is the agent's details where the money will be sent.

Name : Darlene Melody Wilcutt
City : O'fallon
Sate : Missouri
Zip Code :63366

Please get the necessary details sent to paypal (Money Gram Transfer Control Number) The 8digit number and senders name and address used to send the £300 so that they can release the whole fund into your account.Please get back to me once done.
Cheers
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
you haven't sent me anything other than a bunch of fake emails. send the actual payment of £3000 exactly or there is no deal.  if you send any other amount it will be sent back.

Mark
What do you mean? Have make the payment and paypal has already deducted the money from my acct and am very sure you should have receive the payment confirmation from paypal by now..As per the email paypal sent to me which is also similar to yours, i was told that your acct will be credited as soon as you send the requested information to them, which is the 8digit number (Money Gram Transfer Control Number) that will be given to you at money gram after getting the money sent to the shipping agent. So all you have to do is to try and get the money sent and email the necessary info to paypal for accreditation of your acct.

Await your response,
Cheers.
Dear Ray,

I called Paypal to verify your claims and sent them copies of the emails you sent for verification, including the headers.

They advised me that they are fake as I suspected, and that they have been assisting the authorities in tracking your activities for some time.  They said that they have traced the emails to your gmail account - johnnyamonde01@gmail.com - and that this further evidence I have provided has now given them enough to charge you for attempted fraud.

I suspect the police will be visiting you very soon.

I'd just like to take this opportunity to wish you well in prison, it might not be all that bad, maybe take some vaseline in with you?  And perhaps when you get out, you could try doing some honest work instead of trying to scam people, or if that doesn't work, try a bit harder with your scamming.  It's frankly insulting to be the recipient of such poor quality scamming attempts - I know 6yo's who could think up a more believable con than you.

Cheers,
Mark

I didn't really call paypal, but the originating gmail account was clearly visible in the headers.  Thought it'd be fun to try to strike fear into his heart.

On gmail, hotmail and yahoo emails, if you click:  source > highlight the source details > and paste it into a web page like IP Address Look-up,

it'll normally indicate the location of where the (scam) email has originated from.

Edited by De Sisti
Additional info that might prevent readers of this thread from being the victim of a scam.

Haha that's amazing...

I've had the same ... was shocked at how easy they agreed to a price...I quickly figured....

I just kept saying nope no money received... please try again.

But they kept insisting i pay 300 to release the funds.... yah I'm not stupid... why do I have to pay to sell my car... you should be paying me. 

Muppets

I've had the same ... selling granny's car for her and had this chap offer over the odds which put me on guard from the off.

rayedmond044@gmail.com | johnnyamonde01@gmail.com

He had a funny way about him with a strange type of fraudulent deal.

Same as others reported here, he wanted me to do something like this: "So I give him money first (who's selling what I ask!...read on!) and then he'll give me over the odds for my car even though he hasn't seen it nor does he need to, in order to make an offer. Then his 'guy' will come and pick up the car. The 'guy' is funded by the first bit of money I've given him which is meant to release the funds for the rest of the fraudulent 'deal' - for 'deal' read

1. my money back +

2. fee for handling+

3. better offer than the car's worth

Somewhere I get a fee back in addition to the over the odds money for the car - all in the final fake 'deal'. And I only release the car to the 'guy' when the 'deal' has cleared.

In brief, reading between the lines, the real 'deal' is "I give him money" (nothing about cars!). 

Fraud all over it! Also you would think that such scammers would get tired of understanding the whole gig to be honest such a convoluted way but pretty much exactly the same wording as above (negev) - remained polite in replying to the emails while he avoided any firm/genuine contact.

____

Due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it.
Don't worry about the pick up,my shipping agent will be coming to pick it up, I'll like you to send me your address so that my shipping agent can figure it out and come for the pick up and other necessary things....more so,send me your PayPal details(PayPal email) so i can pay in.
Await your response.

____

Oh, except (after above) I asked (as money is no object) that it may be more productive for him to purchase a light aircraft instead of the car as it's not a very quick car. He stopped replying.

Reported and that be the end of it.

On 10/01/2016 at 17:37, Kermitthefrog said:

I love annoying the scamming sellers, easily spot them on Autotrader, they never have a phone number and have cars at ridiculously low prices. I once annoyed a scammer so much he told me he was going to kill me. I told him to bring it.

ha ha ,i have just started a thread on focus st oc, about the stupid scammers,ie selling the likes of a 10 plate range rover for 5k,i ahd a good chat with online fraud team,i will post the whole chat later,on the st site they say i was rude,damn right,as they do sod all about it.here it is,whole thread,...http://www.focusstoc.com/forums/topic/430242-reporting-car-fraud-to-e-baythere-response-below/

Edited by rasa

I've just read the thread, and yes you were rude and to be honest unprofessional.

I appreciate your crusade to clear eBay of this, however a better approach may be to compile a list of suspected listing, email them to eBay, and followup with a reply email later.

In my opinion it certainly doesn't need the use of a live web session to an already overstressed function of ebay

Sent from my LG-H815

I've not read the thread but I can totally empathise with being rude to ebay.  They do jack all to police the many thousands of counterfeit products that are sold on their marketplace every day.  One example that irks me is fake iphone cables being sold as genuine - there are hundreds of sellers doing this and the general public are probably largely oblivious to it.  I've reported sellers countless times and nothing happens.  Fake headphones are another big moneymaker for both sellers and ebay, and obviously they do as little as possible to stop it because overall they make millions in transaction fees on counterfeit products.  As long as they're seen to take action when the police get involved they can wash their hands of what their users are doing even when they could easily stop it.  Don't believe me?  iphone cables retail at £15 from Apple, do you really think they'd allow them to be distributed elsewhere for £3 a pop without the box?  Ebay could wipe out hundreds of listings for fake iphone cables in a heartbeat if they wanted to - every single seller with mass stocks of "new" and "genuine" iphone cables being sold at bargain basement prices - but they never will because they'd be wiping out their own profits.

I feel sorry for the people who buy those cables believing the sellers that they're genuine, only to have them ruin their iphone.  Pretty sure neither ebay nor apple are going to replace their dead phone when that happens.

And don't even get me started on paypal - ebay and paypal are the same company, it's bad enough that they force sellers to accept paypal (who take a second juicy bite out of sellers money) but they've recently even started banning other payment providers completely.  How this is not an antitrust issue baffles me - I guess the gangsters have friends in high places.  So yeah in my humble, considered and reasoned opinion, ebay/paypal might as well be the mafia and deserve all the abuse they get. :)

36 minutes ago, negev said:

I've not read the thread but I can totally empathise with being rude to ebay.  They do jack all to police the many thousands of counterfeit products that are sold on their marketplace every day.  One example that irks me is fake iphone cables being sold as genuine - there are hundreds of sellers doing this and the general public are probably largely oblivious to it.  I've reported sellers countless times and nothing happens.  Fake headphones are another big moneymaker for both sellers and ebay, and obviously they do as little as possible to stop it because overall they make millions in transaction fees on counterfeit products.  As long as they're seen to take action when the police get involved they can wash their hands of what their users are doing even when they could easily stop it.  Don't believe me?  iphone cables retail at £15 from Apple, do you really think they'd allow them to be distributed elsewhere for £3 a pop without the box?  Ebay could wipe out hundreds of listings for fake iphone cables in a heartbeat if they wanted to - every single seller with mass stocks of "new" and "genuine" iphone cables being sold at bargain basement prices - but they never will because they'd be wiping out their own profits.

I feel sorry for the people who buy those cables believing the sellers that they're genuine, only to have them ruin their iphone.  Pretty sure neither ebay nor apple are going to replace their dead phone when that happens.

And don't even get me started on paypal - ebay and paypal are the same company, it's bad enough that they force sellers to accept paypal (who take a second juicy bite out of sellers money) but they've recently even started banning other payment providers completely.  How this is not an antitrust issue baffles me - I guess the gangsters have friends in high places.  So yeah in my humble, considered and reasoned opinion, ebay/paypal might as well be the mafia and deserve all the abuse they get. :)

tell me about it,daughter has had loads of cables,car parts are rife,and allt they care about is their 10% i wish e bid,the crappy rival would get bigger,then id use that,i use gumtree but thats as bad,e bay and paypal are now seperate companies ,just happened about 3 months ago

Edited by rasa

With the cheaper counterfeit stuff if you complain to the seller a lot of the time they will refund you without even wanting the item back.  I throw them away anyway but at least you get the satisfaction of the seller losing a tiny bit of profit.  It's obviously good money for them though.

21 hours ago, negev said:

With the cheaper counterfeit stuff if you complain to the seller a lot of the time they will refund you without even wanting the item back.  I throw them away anyway but at least you get the satisfaction of the seller losing a tiny bit of profit.  It's obviously good money for them though.

yeh done that a few times,like you say,they will refund as they dont want the hassle,and how many actually complain,like us,not many so they get away with it.