martinlink

320d oil consumption, how do I know where it's going?

Hi,

I've had this issue right from the start when I got the car about 1.5 years ago. The car is burning oil at a rate of about 1 litre per 1500 miles. Did an oil change recently with Mobil Super 3000 X1 5w40 (LL-01) and the consumption has stayed roughly the same. CCV vortex filter is installed and cleaned already once, just in case. No leaks outside the car, 100% all filters are new and made by Mahle/Knecht/Bosch - quality OEM stuff. Intercooler has always gotten more than a normal amount of oil in it, so much so that it gets to the intake manifold which is always wet with fresh oil inside. When I've removed the small hose from the CCV to the turbo intake, it always had lots of oil in it. Car also shoots a puff of blue smoke on any semi-quick takeoff.

Turbo is tight, no play neither laterally nor axially. But it makes a howling noise that changes pitch with revs when it's colder, for about 5-10 minutes.

So the question is: how do I make sure if it's the turbo, the oil rings or the valve stem seals? I don't want to go swapping or rebuilding expensive things without being sure what's broken :(

If there is anything more you'd need to know, just ask!
Thanks in advance.

Most of what you've said would add up to the turbo oil seals or high crank case pressure. A small amount of oil will always be in the cold side of the turbo from the CCV. The only way you'd be able to check is to install a catch can and see how much is collected.

Damn notification e-mails not working, didn't even know I had replies to my post...

The car is from march 2002.
I've had reports of the same oil I'm using being consumed by other BMW's and also a Toyota. Wonder if it's the low quality and low viscosity that lets it seep past semi-worn seals. People who has the same consumption as me switched to Motul and didn't use any after that - can this be true or are they just hyping up their new oil brand?