devilsadvocate

Low idle driving me round the bend...

Hi

I have owned my 325ci for about a month and the idle has always been low, probably 600rpm.

It means I stall the car sometimes or end up putting on too much accelerator when pulling away.
Its a pain when on a hill due to this.

So far I have tried:

Removing and cleaning the ICV, it was a little dirty but nothing major.
Removing the MAF and using some electrical contract cleaner on it.
Changing the air filter
Checking for split induction hoses, all seem fine.

There are no error codes or lights on the dash so I am not sure if taking it for a diagnostic will achieve anything?

My thoughts next are:

Replace fuel filter
Replace spark plugs.

After I cleaned the ICV, the idle seemed fine the first time I started it (800rpm) but then dropped back to 600 after a few seconds.
It doesn't matter if the car is warm or cold, the idle is the same. 

Cheers

In mine, I think the springs have worn out in the centre plate, doesn't slip either but I'm pretty sure it's that. Just waiting for it to wear out before I change it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My E46 has on two occasions in my ownership developed the low revs and stalling problem. On both occasions it was fixed by having the sump/air cleaner breather system stripped and cleaned out. Both times the problem was accompanied by occasional, short-lived smells of hot oil in the seating cabin. They ceased after the strip and clean.

Cymro

Have you removed the CDV? Its a restricter that reduces the amount of fluid allowed through which slows down operation of the clutch. A lot of people (including myself) have removed it to improve pedal feel when pulling off.

I think that idle figure sounds not far off normal when the engine is warm?

I have driven it some more and I'm not convinced it's the clutch, I'm sure it's the idle. If it's not in gear and I very slowly depress the gas pedal, it feels like there is a few millisecond of play before I see the revs go up at all, combine that with 600rpm at idle and I am sure that is the cause. Every other car I have owned has been very responsive when pressing the throttle but this feels like there is a delay or a lag before the revs start increasing.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk