Sign in to follow this  
kosb

duel mass flywheel or single

Troops... ok my clutch on my 320cd is on the way out so should i convert to a single mass flywheel or stick to a dmf...thoughts please of pros and cons ?

6 hours ago, kosb said:

Troops... ok my clutch on my 320cd is on the way out so should i convert to a single mass flywheel or stick to a dmf...thoughts please of pros and cons ?

dmf,been discussed loads of times,some have done it but the dmf is there for a reason,to dampen vibration,it will last the life of your car and give a smoother drive.

I want a smooth drive...so you think i should stick wit a dmf .i hear that the smf can be noisy...why do folk swap.?

Edited by kosb

Mines currently at Bmw having a new clutch fitted.  Dmf is good to go again even with 146k on it.

59 minutes ago, kosb said:

I want a smooth drive...so you think i should stick wit a dmf .i hear that the smf can be noisy...why do folk swap.?

The dmf can break if too much power/torque is put though it, so people swap to a smf but this causes a bit of noise and vibrations in drive train, it's like putting solid engine mounts in great for loads of power on a race track but while sitting at a set of traffic lights not so enjoyable 

4 hours ago, kosb said:

im on original dmf/clutch 127k and been mapped before i got it(badly) new map 26 month ago and car is still good,does have a little dmf rattle,about the same a s when i bought it,i use all the torque when i drive it hard,not all the time though,and thats the key ,otherwise it will destroy itself if ya drivinf like a t**t everytime ya in it.

23 hours ago, R11CH said:

Mines currently at Bmw having a new clutch fitted.  Dmf is good to go again even with 146k on it.

My brother made this mistake a year ago.. Got a new clutch fitted and the DMF was "ok".. A year later and the clutch and DMF are being changed.. Not worth the risk IMO. 

My old clutch and dmf lasted to around 200k miles. The replacement dmf does in 6 months. Funny how things work out :(

I'd stick with dmf though, if it were my car. I'd guess that the fact you need to ask means you're not in a position (lots of power/track use) where it's going to be of benefit to change to smf (not meant in an unpleasant way)  

8 hours ago, Craig_09 said:

My britther made this mike a year ago.. Got a new cl. utch fitted and the DMF was "ok".. A year later and the clutch and DMF are being changed.. Not worth the risk IMO. 

I have a 2 year warranty so any problems Bmw can have It back. A new dmf was £780 alone. They said I didnt need It once they got It apart.

Got mine back today and what a difference! New clutch  Is super smooth.

Thank troops...dmf it is 

11 hours ago, R11CH said:

I have a 2 year warranty so any problems Bmw can have It back. A new dmf was £780 alone. They said I didnt need It once they got It apart.

Got mine back today and what a difference! New clutch  Is super smooth.

£780 dear me,they are only £350 or whatever for a luk one,which are who make bmw clutches,pretty sure anyhow.good luck with the car though.

With my 320cd I bought a LUK dual mass and Clutch.

On Eurocarparts the flywheel was £244 and clutch £157 minus the 15% discount with code Extra15 =£342.52 Plus £150 labour so not bad at all!

7 hours ago, Craig_09 said:

With my 320cd I bought a LUK dual mass and Clutch.

On Eurocarparts the flywheel was £244 and clutch £157 minus the 15% discount with code Extra15 =£342.52 Plus £150 labour so not bad at all!

Thats what im looking at m8..