coupeclassic

hesitancy on acceleration possible solution

recently my 318ci E46 with an N42 engine on an 04 plate  actually a 2ltr as facelift model, started to hesitate on acceleration after looking at forums got worried as seemed to be a problem with a few engines and no fix.So i decided to take the BMW out of the equation and just deal with the physical symptoms.Which to me were electrical or air related as know a reasonable amount about cars. so checked all wires and connections there were no issues so on to the air system stripped the air filter put a new one in cleaned the air mass meter and as putting back noticed there was a small vacuum tube totally perished its a two part tube solid plastic in the middle flexible rubber at end not sure quiet what its for but sure something anyway changed it, rebuilt everything started engine and  let it tick over  for a while jumped in car and took it for a spin on a normal route where there is plenty of gearing down and accelerating and it went like a dream so in conclusion a list of what i did is below

dismantled air intake

cleaned air mass meter ( blew it out with wd40 or crc in other coutries ) both sides of air mass and allowed it to dry 

replaced the rubber end of vacuum tube 

new air filter 

rebuilt it all 

24hrs with no problems so far 

regards coupe lover

Edited by coupeclassic

Hi. I think I am having the same problem. The engine hesitates as the rev drop a bit when accelerating from ZERO only ( trying to leave when traffic lights turn green for example). When getting above 2000 rpm the problem is gone... was this your problem as well?

Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-A500FU using Tapatalk

318i 1995 cc 143 hp

Mine was normally when I geared down and started to accelerate again but since post I have stripped the inlet manifold and put a new ccv valve in bought of eBay £65 and spent 7 hours on car quiet in depth but we'll worth it big difference in performance .

You shouldn't have put WD40 on the MAF.

Contact cleaner or proper MAF cleaner only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 22/03/2016 at 21:07, avalaugh said:

You shouldn't have put WD40 on the MAF.

Contact cleaner or proper MAF cleaner only.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 on that. Facepalmed myself and read the rest of your post through my fingers. You have to be so careful with the element in the maf sensor.