mboon

Cooling system tip E46

Hi all,

I recently started loosing coolant from my 2005 330ci Sport Auto on 118,000 miles.

It looked like it was coming from the water pump so had a mate replace this.

Upon removing all the bits to do the water pump, we found the main leak coming from the thermostat housing which is directly above the water pump. So we replaced both (still had the original plastic impeller water pump)

I had already purchased a Euro Car Parts header tank (the expensive one made by Hello apparently) and upon putting it all back together, found out the new tank was shot (faulty batch I later found out)

We put the old one back on as it was fine when we removed it but found out the removing process had causing a hair line crack in the original tank.

I ended up buying a new tank from BMW (£85) and had this fitted which worked fine.

A few tips for anyone else doing this job...

Once one section is leaking, change all if you have no proof it has been change recently.

Mine had leaks on the thermostat and water pump and the header tank gave up when being pulled from the car.

Check your thermostat is working correctly, my 330ci seemed a little heavy on fuel. With the new thermostat in place it's using much less and the heater works much better.

Make sure you get the correct header tank, they are apparently different between auto and manual.

If at any point you have to pull the header tank, replace it. They are so brittle. It's not that hard of a job either.

I went for a Weller (sp) thermostat

Meyle water pump (metal impeller)

Genuine BMW header tank

New coolant

I checked my rad and it looked good (must have been replace recently)

Hope this helps others. It was not that expensive either to be honest. I had change from £300

I always tell people to go with the genuine Bmw expansion tank, see so many buy the cheap one and it leak from the off. Same with the thermostat genuine Bmw as the sensor in the cheap ones can be hit and miss. 

A can of silicone lubricant to fit all the expansion tank parts is a must, makes fitting a doddle and reassurance its all seated correctly and no chance of tearing the orings. Im a plumber and use this every time on push fit pipework. 

Good tips never the less.