Mk2majik

Do coilovers require a spacer?

Hey guys,im looking at having coilovers fitted over the next couple of weeks,does anyone know if I will need wheel spacers if running 8.5j x18 wheels all round with 215/40 front and 225/40 rear offset et38 thanks chaps?

Ok mate thanks,I was thinking of fk highsports but are now decided on hsd dual techs,these come complete with a top mount which is offset on the top of the damper(adjustable caster?m3 spec apparently)from what I understand I think it means I wont need to use a spacer?

I'm running HSD Dualtech coilovers and I had to run 3mm spacers up front as the tyre was rubbing on the locking collars and undoing them! There was about a little fingers worth of width between the wheel/tyre and locking collar when it was on flat ground which lead to the rubbing when turning/going over bumps etc.

I think if you ran less camber you'd probably get away with no spacers however I had my car aligned just after I got them fitted and I'm running the recommended amount of camber and it was still rubbing.

This is with a set of 235/40r18 tyres on what I believe is a 8.5j wheel.

Halfords do a set of 3mm spacers for £10 I think and ebay is even cheaper, you don't need Hubcentric ones as they are so small you can still seat the wheel on the hub. You can choose to run the standard bolts or you can get longer ones for about £15. You'll want 30mm with a 3mm spacer I believe.

Just realised you have a saloon so this is likely going to be different I assume but hey ho might work!

What spacers needed for 265/30/19 and 235/35/19.. For the same type of coilovers.. Im lookin at getting them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 24 April 2016 at 16:04, Foxsake said:

What spacers needed for 265/30/19 and 235/35/19.

Tyre sizes aren't relevant until we know wheel widths and offsets. 

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 at 20:50, mocup said:

I'm running HSD Dualtech coilovers and I had to run 3mm spacers up front as the tyre was rubbing on the locking collars and undoing them! There was about a little fingers worth of width between the wheel/tyre and locking collar when it was on flat ground which lead to the rubbing when turning/going over bumps etc.

I think if you ran less camber you'd probably get away with no spacers however I had my car aligned just after I got them fitted and I'm running the recommended amount of camber and it was still rubbing.

This is with a set of 235/40r18 tyres on what I believe is a 8.5j wheel.

Halfords do a set of 3mm spacers for £10 I think and ebay is even cheaper, you don't need Hubcentric ones as they are so small you can still seat the wheel on the hub. You can choose to run the standard bolts or you can get longer ones for about £15. You'll want 30mm with a 3mm spacer I believe.

Just realised you have a saloon so this is likely going to be different I assume but hey ho might work!

Also, its a mcpherson strut on the front aswel, so the damper is fixed in relation to the wheel. The camber is adjusted via topmount, meaning the wheel will still rub running 0° or -3° of camber

1 hour ago, Foxsake said: What spacers needed for 265/30/19 and 235/35/19.

Ok.. How the hell do i find that out?

On 11/03/2016 at 13:17, Mk2majik said:

Ok mate thanks,I was thinking of fk highsports but are now decided on hsd dual techs,these come complete with a top mount which is offset on the top of the damper(adjustable caster?m3 spec apparently)from what I understand I think it means I wont need to use a spacer?

None of the coilovers out there like HSD will have adjustable caster as you can only adjust the camber if it comes with pillowball top mounts which HSD have. Secondly if the ones you are buying are M3 spec, A they are the wrong ones for your car, B increased caster will push the wheel forward so you will likely rub the front of the arch liner and C increased castor won't help with not needing a spacer as it has nothing to do with how the wheel sits on the hub itself.

If the front offsets are ET38 then you probably won't need a spacer as anything above ET40 (usually stock OEM wheels) need them to clear the leg.

Edited by DJ Syxx