Bennp2000

Heavy vibration

Hi All,

So the car is approaching 198k miles and I've driven it to France; I'm due to drive it back tomorrow (shortly beforehand it had a service and MOT).

A day or so before leaving I noticed the rear tyres were a bit low an thus had them changed. The tyreshop had a real problem balancing them and he said the alloys aren't in great condition any more (sadly like the rest of the vehicle).

Driving back (a short journey, ~15 mins) to where we're staying tonight, after a 60mph ish long left-hander, the steering wheel began vibrating heavily. I pulled over, checked the tyres, had a good pull on each wheel then drove off with no vibration. It did it on the way down here two weeks ago on a slightly uphill section ~65mph. However, it's not always there.

I've checked the new rears and there's no sign of a wheel weight missing anywhere and as it's not constantly happening at a given speed I'm thinking that I can rule out a balance issue?

Can anyone take a stab at what might be the issue and more importantly if there's any immediate action I need to take?

Thanks,

Paul

Hello mate,I'm no mechanic but if the wheels are not the problem then check associated equipment. 

Break discs,wheel bearings , control arm bushes etc ...

does the vibration have a noise with it ? If so where ? If it's under the car it may be gearbox or prop shaft ?

next time it happens gentaly swerv from side to side and see if that effects the noise ,it may indicate a side or corner , in which wheel.

best of luck

dave

Only time I've had vibration through the steering wheel was caused by a sticking front brake calliper. Next time it happens pull over and see if the wheels are hotter. 

Well I've been dropped off ready for work and the car passed the 198k mile mark...

This morning I had the fronts rebalanced; the driver's side had 40g missing and the passenger front had 'round the clock' balancing done poorly.

This fixed the heavy vibration but I'm not convinced it's the only issue as it still didn't feel/sound right under certain conditions.

Dropping it into neutral doesn't make it go away and it was happening on long motorway stretches so I haven't pressed the brake in miles (I took cruise off to be sure).