jharar

330i MPG..

I've bought 330i yesterday, I've been driving it locally , Comp shows 14.5 MPG.:huh:
Wow that's low , I was not expecting it that low does this sound right.

What sort of MPG M3 drivers get..!!

Is there anything i can check or thats how it is..

Thanks.

Mines around 22mpg for mixed driving.

My 4.6 classic Range Rover does better than 14mpg !!

Check tyre pressures and for possible binding brakes, I take it that it appears to run okay ? When was it last serviced ? What states the air filter in, plugs etc

Nearly all my driving is stop start town driving and fast road blasting and I get between 22-24 in a manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

try checking air filter too, if that is clogged and not getting enough air the ecu might compensate with more fuel? I had grubby spark plugs in mine for I don't know how long and when I changed them, the idle was all over the place for a few seconds I assume because the car was re-adjusting itself back for decent ones (just a guess though) however if all you are doing is being stuck in traffic and hardly moving then it will be low, my 325 compact says im averaging 16.2mpg, but I live 5 miles from work and spend most of that time at lights and apparently my average speed is 18mph so its what id expect really

Vacuum leak, O2 sensors, camshaft position sensors

I was averaging about 25 mostly d/c driving but after fixing the above it's more like 30!

Vac leak won't always throw an error, check the rubber tubes on the F connector after the MAF as it may be perished but not enough!

If you have Torque, check the long term fuel trims. Mine went from about 9% to 2.3% almost overnight

All said, there's a lot to be gained from a tank of Super and a good old Italian tune up!

Tapatalked

I am getting 25MPG from my Auto 330i Vert, mostly short trips. Stop-starting will kill your MPG especially if the engine is not warmed up. Better fuel helps for sure IMHO.

Edited by poptart

I struggled to get my 330i auto over 20mpg when i had it as most of what i do is short trips. I didnt keep it very long.

the 320i auto i have now is better - averaging 25 for the same type of driving and more on a run - same sound just nowhere near the poke !

Edited by capri_rob

1 hour ago, suhail97 said:

And I though 25 - 28 in my Cooper S was bad. The engine is nearly half the size of the 330i though

Assume its a supercharged one.

I used to drive one of these, they are worse on fuel than a 330ci.

For some reason they use an insane amount of fuel for the size of the engine / performance.

I know mines a 2.5 but it use to average around 23 to 25 around town and b roads when i got it but since i had it terracleaned i rarely see under 30 and motorways can be 34+ and its used like it should be used. 

18 hours ago, bennno2005 said:

Assume its a supercharged one.

I used to drive one of these, they are worse on fuel than a 330ci.

For some reason they use an insane amount of fuel for the size of the engine / performance.

Nope it's a turbo!! But I am now 99.9% town driving and where I live you can't avoid hills.

(I also like the exhaust pops and bangs so it's full throttle everywhere)

Mileage achieved is hugely dependant on your driving style and the type of journey you do. Don't rely on your trip computer until you've reset it and compared it a full tank to tank refill test, preferably a couple of them. I do a 140 miles a day mostly dual carriageway or motorway with only a few junctions in all those miles. I'm tight and hate spending money so I drive my commute with a view to maximising economy although I will push when I need to overtake and not hold others up. My journey is normally done at 65 mph and my average speed for the journey is typically 45 - 50 mph.

In my LPG equipped DD 320i auto I get 28 mpg, 32 if running on petrol. In my old E36 318is manual I got 34 on LPG and 38 on petrol. In my M3, if used for the commute, I can easily get 32 mpg and even then I'm not really hanging about, 34 if I'm really careful. Give her the binary throttle and I've got it down to 22 mpg. I constantly check and record my mpg as its  a good indicator of engine health. If I use any of the cars around town you can see the mpg drop off markedly.

I know not a 330i, but then again it is 17 years old and I get +/- 25 around town start/stop and short distances. But once on the motorway/A Roads I get around 34+ which I averaged from Torquay to Southampton 2-up with luggage.

On 6/10/2016 at 20:59, Zonda_ said:

Have you reset the computer? My 330Ci manual 6 speed averaged 26 mpg and that was a mix of round town and foot to the floor driving.

I was hereabouts in an auto, with a mix of Central London driving and longer runs. Sounds like something isn't 100%.