Mizan

BBS LM Rep Plastic Bolts

It's finally time I'm going to get me wheels refurbed. I did look into this a while back and I found a company selling lots of varieties (colours and styles) but I can't find them any more. I've loked on google and I can't find anyone that sell plastic push fit ones.

Does anyone know if anyone that sells them?

Thanks

Hi,

I think you'll be out of luck on this. There's no market for selling little plastic imitation wheel bolts as the general trend is that due to replica wheels being cheap, you just get another set. Another more technical reason is that replica's are made using the cheapest alloy available and microscopically, they have larger 'air pockets' within the material. If you wish to refurbish by powder coating, then the wheel gets heated up and those air pockets expand and it's more likely that a wheel can crack. Higher quality and grade wheels have much smaller pockets of air and some have none at all so the risks with those wheels are much reduced. Finally, a good quality wheel refurbishment is going to cost you £200-275 when done properly and correctly. You might as well put in another £100-150 to perhaps £250 and buy a new set of wheels. 

Else, I guess you could purchase real wheel bolts and see if you can get those to fit somehow. I've not seen, but that's not to say they do exist somewhere, the plastic ones you refer to, so I guess it'll be more googling around to see if you can still get them

Another alternative would be to get some used much better quality wheels, I've sometimes seen sets of genuine Hartge 17 and 18 inch Classic wheels go for around £450-500'ish. Other quality brands don't have bolts in their designs ! The genuine Hartge's have easily removable genuine titanium bolts so you simply take them out, do the wheel refurbishment and screw them back in :) This choice is the one I'd recommend overall!

Cheers, Dennis!

On 7/4/2016 at 10:58, DennisCooper said:

There's no market for selling little plastic imitation wheel bolts

Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. This took 30secs on Google...

OP, take your pic. Also, I'd brush up on your Google-Fu.

1 hour ago, Dave330 said:

Thanks for the links.

I did come across those, I remembered when i was looking into this last year there was a website that has a large choice and they had bronze ones so I was hoping if someone knew that one.

Hi,

Well, you learn something new every day !

I did mention in my post that perhaps the plastic ones do exist and to keep searching! it's just that in all the BMW forums, there's hardly any mention of finding fake/plastic bolts for replica wheels as 'most' people with them seem to just sell them on once there's some 'issue' with them. I'll book mark the pages in case there's more requests. 

Cheers, Dennis!