Chris320cd

Faded Door Mirror Surrounds

The door mirror surrounds were very faded - almost white - on my new purchase. Not a good look on a black car!. Had an old bottle of Simoniz "Back to Black" in the garage so thought I would give it a go. Using a cloth and then cotton buds to get behind the mirror glass, they have come up looking brand new with a nice satin finish. Don't know if you can even still get this stuff (mine must have been about 25 years old!) but highly recommended.

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

I wrapped mine in gloss black

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

Mine were white too, from owning 9 Mk2 Golf GTIs over the years I think I've tried every solution apart from permenant dies  on the bumpers and plastic arches, and boiled linseed oil has always got the job done. You can pick up a bottle for £3-£4 in homebase or B&Q too. Just rub it on leave for 5 mins and wipe off any residue. I always apply it outside though as it can give you a headache

I used Adams Super VRT on all my matte black trim, it works a treat and has knock years of the old girl!! Make sure the plastics are totally clean and free of dust/grease/other products before using it.

On 13/07/2016 at 08:55, bennno2005 said:

Heat works for this too.

The previous owner on my last car had had them sprayed gloss black which matched the door trims - looked ace.

I'm thinking about having the same done on this one.

I took my Imola coupé to a local body shop last week to get a quote for a respray. This was one of the extras I asked them to include, bet it looks great. Why BMW made the shadow-line trim and mirror base such a lovely gloss black then cut corners with the mirror surrounds I have no idea. Shame.

Sprayed mine gloss black, looks much better now, one side was a grey colour before, not sure if it was faded or what. Can't get these stupid spiders out of the wing mirrors though, has become a regular thing having to remove spider webs everytime I use the car now lol.

17 minutes ago, BOB_330 said:

Sprayed mine gloss black, looks much better now, one side was a grey colour before, not sure if it was faded or what. Can't get these stupid spiders out of the wing mirrors though, has become a regular thing having to remove spider webs everytime I use the car now lol.

Brake cleaner the bugga`s!