Dave330

Small mods/jobs that make a big difference

Looking for inspiration on my return to an e46, and thought I'd try to get a feel for the things that others have done to their cars. 

I'm not talking about the £1k coilovers, M3 wheels or supercharger installs. This is going to be a daily driver for me. Instead, I'm interested in the little things you did or changed that made a big difference to your enjoyment of the car. 

Some examples that I'm considering include a retrimmed steering wheel, an atf change and a Bluetooth streaming add-on to the HK system. 

Over to you...

94d491ebe815de0361744a1d6d32ce7c.jpg2ae8aaa33b087f026fb4cb392c005638.jpg128f832e816d796865bff91e243a21b5.jpg

Led lights, very good tyres, FK coilovers, nice wheels, good polish and that's about it.

I'm wanting to fit a z4 gear shifter to reduce throw too. Can't be arsed with much else as its never gonna be the m3 I want to buy next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Led external lighting is a great call. I hadn't thought of that. Isn't there something a bit fiddly with the coding of the bulbs, or am I remembering that incorrectly ?

1 hour ago, Dave330 said:

Led external lighting is a great call. I hadn't thought of that. Isn't there something a bit fiddly with the coding of the bulbs, or am I remembering that incorrectly ?

I fitted genuine LED rears to my Cs, probably the best money I spent on it. 

The led bulbs I fitted today are fine, you have to buy canbus compatible ones. The have resistors in so the car sees the correct current draw.

Didn't know you could unbuffer the temp gauge!!! Who's got pa??? I want mine doing lol

1 hour ago, alan53 said:

Reprogramming things with PA soft and also altering the temp gauge to give a correct unbuffered reading

This. Mine is now only vertical between 85 and 95c. 

Better headlights. Replacing carbon cube with something less vile. Lumbar support for the seats. Gearbox oil. Ambient interior lighting. 

To do; dynamatt. Made a hyuuge difference in my e30.

3 hours ago, Edges said:

The led bulbs I fitted today are fine, you have to buy canbus compatible ones. The have resistors in so the car sees the correct current draw.

Didn't know you could unbuffer the temp gauge!!

Love the idea of making the temp gauge read more like reality. 

Do you have a link to the LEDs?

Plus 1 for the Halfords LED's, had them in mine for nearly a year and they been perfect.

My best mods have been the gloss black foglight surrounds and colour coded splitters.

Gloss black the front lower grill and rear diffuser 

Phillips extreme bulbs, made a good difference also had my MOT man adjust the lights up a little more and i can now see at night!

Airbox mod, makes a nice noise, colder air fed to it and was free.

Gearbox and diff oil, improved gear changes.

brakes and suspension overhual, huge improvement especially the brakes.

alcantara gaitors and the touchscreen stereo. Stereo really updates the interior.

Shifter bushes made a big difference.

Disa valve overhaul kit, made a noticeable difference between 2k and 3k rpm.

Cupholders!!!!

Just a few of the bits i have done. Would love to put a set of sticky tyres on the car but seeing as my other car has R888's and this is meant to be the "sensible" car, i dont think the missus would be to pleased!

20160619_172659_zpsqbavhubp.jpg

Edited by R11CH

On 29 June 2016 at 20:23, TriggerFish said:

This. Mine is now only vertical between 85 and 95c. 

Better headlights. Replacing carbon cube with something less vile. Lumbar support for the seats. Gearbox oil. Ambient interior lighting. 

To do; dynamatt. Made a hyuuge difference in my e30.

I really don't like having the lumbar on in mine. Beats me why anyone would go to the effort of installing something that makes you feel there is a kid behind with its knees in the seat! 

29 minutes ago, Dave330 said:

Do the LEDs fit prefacelift cars too?

Yes but they will need coding. You can get eagle eye ones off eBay for prefacelift which are cheaper and work straight out of the box. 

Edited by bennno2005

If you're talking the led bulbs from halfords, yes they'll fit pre face. If you're talking led tail lamps of a facelift, yes but you need to be clever with some resistors or get then coded

Shifter bushes made a big difference.

Disa valve overhaul kit, made a noticeable difference between 2k and 3k rpm.

Cupholders!!!!

Just a few of the bits i have done. 

I need cup holders!! What was the shifter bushes you replaced? Mine wobbles around in gear like it in a pot of soup! I've been looking at fitting the shifter unit from a z4 to reduce the throw too!

1 hour ago, Edges said:

I need cup holders!!

The parts are available (genuine BMW kit, I think) for about £55 from Amazon. Depending on interior colour, you will need:

So much more useful than the little tray with the (broken) roller top thing.

1 hour ago, Edges said:

If you're talking the led bulbs from halfords, yes they'll fit pre face.

It was the sidelights I was most keen on, to be honest. Without trying to sound too pathetic, the forum isn't showing much helpful - do you have a link to the right kit?

4 hours ago, ConRod said:

Retrimmed steering wheel

I gather than Royal are considered the best, but they are certainly pricey. Are there any alternatives?

Edited by Dave330

I'm Looking forward to getting my royals trimmed wheel back.

Best cheap mods I've done. Re dying the scuffed/worn leather bolster and gear knob, it took years off the interior and was cheap. 

Polishing the the shadow line trim (black trim round the Windows) as it looked like oil in a puddle, it's now gloss black again. I just used 3m cutting compound by hand. 

Cleaning the exhaust made the car look much better too. I used a scouring pad, then 2000 wet n dry and finished it off with Autosol. 

Cup holders as said. 

Making a a hidden cable run to my armrest to hook up my iPhone to the headunit. 

Carbon wrapping  my gear surround as it was looking very old, it's now nice and fresh.  

All the the above are cheap mods and if you like your car looking good and  they were all worth doing in my book. You'll see most of them in here 

Edited by Hawk

10 hours ago, Edges said:

I need cup holders!! What was the shifter bushes you replaced? Mine wobbles around in gear like it in a pot of soup! I've been looking at fitting the shifter unit from a z4 to reduce the throw too!

I bought the cupholders, coin holder and the whole handbrake surround from Bmw for little over £100.

I had Bmw fit the bushes while doing the clutch, was about £20 for the three bushes and simple enough to fit. Have heard the z4 shifter is a shorter throw.

It was the sidelights I was most keen on, to be honest. Without trying to sound too pathetic, the forum isn't showing much helpful - do you have a link to the right kit?

Halfords store pal c47c2668108889c3da80167742332994.jpg

I had Bmw fit the bushes while doing the clutch, was about £20 for the three bushes and simple enough to fit. Have heard the z4 shifter is a shorter throw.

Sorry to be a pain!! This is the shifter I want from a z4, but number 7 is the bush I think causes a lot of slop, plus the bar number 9 where it goes in each end. Are they the 3 bushes you had done? I'm struggling to find any sure information on this :/ 69514f95f135de8e7c86b89de9a42f69.jpg

The e30 layout is largely the sane, and it was the bush 9 equivalent that made the most diffference. 

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Replacing_Gear_Linkage

http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Z3_short_shifter_conversion

Here is the invoice i got with all the parts replaced 

20160602_220106_zpsurkfrzzo.jpg

Checking realoem it would appear it was 5 items changed. From support to bush on my list.

Edited by Daz 330 Cs