Nimraynn

Headunit change

Hi all,

I currently run an Andrive AN46-3 unit, but its always been grief. The advertised "instant boot" function has never worked. ever. The built-in apps are terrible and don't work properly. If I want to use another media player, I have to open up the in-built media player first, otherwise I either get no audio at all, or it's very basic audio that doesn't seem to recognise the pre-outs. The wifi doesn't work unless you disconnect the power completely, but then it'll only work for 5 days before failing again... the list of problems is almost endless.

It does eventually sort of work enough for me to have put up with it for over a year, but seeing as I can't find my iPod cable for it and the likelihood that the iPod app is crap like the other media player apps, I'm seriously considering changing to a not-so-fancy branded unit that will do everything I want it to and do it well.

I don't have a huge budget, lets say £100 but the cheaper the better, which I know isn't always a good thing, but moneys tight at the moment.

The big problem I'm finding is getting something with 3 pre-outs and an iPod connection. I have a JBL GTO-5355 amp running all my speakers and a sub totalling 3 pairs of RCA cables running from the headunit to the amp, so one or two pairs of pre-outs isn't enough. I'd like to avoid using splitter cables to dupe the signal.

So I've found this which looks like it should do the job:

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/kenwood-kdc-461u

What are peoples thoughts of this unit? Its pretty basic, but it has 3x pre-outs and iPod compatibility.

If I were to purchase this unit, would I be right in saying I'll need these? Mine is a 2000 reg with the round-pin plug and I don't have steering wheel controls (well, not wired up anyway)

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct20bm01-wiring-harness-adapter-for-bmw-1990

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct24bm01-facia-plate-for-bmw-3-series-e46-1999

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/ct27aa67-aerial-antenna-iso-to-din-adaptor

Is that the correct aerial cable for the big round plug with the single pin in the middle?

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

Just mentioned on your other thread update!

The Kenwood looks quite a good choice given the price level for it and what you want. 

Have a look around on here and other forums for the correct cables/adaptors etc and check your actual car to ensure you have the oem wiring in place and that it's not been changed/spliced/hacked by a previous owner etc. 

Cheers, Dennis!

OEM wiring is all in place. I'm only the second owner and bought it off a mates brother. He kept it standard so I'm the only one to ever play with anything.

Will have another look through the fitting kits and get it ordered today :)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Thanks but I've just added that to my basket and Dynamic Sounds want nearly £12 postage. That's more than the items cost combined as they don't sell the headunit I'm after.

I'll stick to CarAudioDirect for those as the postage offset makes it more expensive :(

Only if you're happy to wait as long as it takes Royal Fail to deliver it :) I'll need it for Wednesday at the very latest, preferably as soon as possible, so I've been opting for the next day delivery option. £7.99 from Car Audio Direct, or £11.97 from Dynamic Sounds. Rather not pay £20 in delivery for the sake of saving about £4 in parts.

Otherwise, Dynamic Sounds have been good to me in the past. Had their boss hand deliver a headunit and amp to me once because he happened to be passing my house on his way home from work. Just a shame they didn't have the headunit I wanted :(

I found that it's actually the Cables that get trapped behind the Headunit and no matter how I tried I could only get it in far enough to still leave about 5mm short of full closure.

I just decided to live with it and put some black Duct Tape around it to hide the aluminium of the unit itself.

Also luckily the unit fits very tightly into the Cage so doesn't move at all... ;)

And as you can see although noticeable, it's livable.... <_<

ODRo7gn.jpg

AasU1Wv.jpg

Oh, and also wired in a Sub at the same time to save me removing the whole thing again!!! Improves the sound big time! :D

GPFekPH.jpg

Edited by MangoMan
Photo add.

Looks good. I've already got a 5 channel amp powering JBL 6.5 fronts, JBL 6.5 rears and a JBL 12 sub. That's why I needed at least three pre outs.

I managed to get it fitted in the end. It easy mostly the RCA cables bending the wrong way. Managed to get some top down access by removing the vents again.

My climate panel also stopped blowing after I moved it but oddly checking the fuses (which were both ok) fixed it.

Before. Nice looking but horrendous performing Andrive

6abcba9d3c28f8765859d2c7ba5b4778.jpg

And now my nice new simple Kenwood that just works.

59db72d607c7408be6eec17a683806ea.jpg

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Removing the top vents gives you quite a bit more room to reposition cables that get in the way. I also found that you can remove the glove box and pull quite a bit of the harness through the hole that the original stereo connector comes from (I had the steering wheel controls harness and getting those to fit behind the stereo was never going to happen).

They're not too hard to remove, although I think I've snapped a clip or two because I've had them out so many times :lol: Just above where the stereo sits, there are two screws. Undo these and then the vents should unclip and fold up onto the top of the dash. You may need to get some trim removal tools in there to release the clips as they can be pretty stubborn. I've just had it out so many times as you have to remove it to take the Andrive in and out

I dread the day I fit a new loom for steering wheel controls :lol: I've got controls, but I've not wired them up. I just fitted the steering wheel anyway because it was nicer than the one I had already.

Edited by Nimraynn