capri_rob

No RDS on Business CD Head unit

Just fitted a 2004 Business CD head unit to my car

despite having the Mode button the Aux in cable i bought from eBay doesnt work - im going to try another cable to try and solve that.

stranger still is there is no RDS at all - the radio works, scans and picks up all the stations but there is no radio station name on the display just the frequency numbers.

when scanning stations when a station is found it displays "rock"' "classical", "varied" depending on station type before the frequency numbers appears but no RDS info at all.

this is apparently the PTY function which can be turned on and off according to the handbook - but again following the instructions in the book the option to switch PTY on and off isnt there.

i know RDS is supposed to come up in the little box and you can turn it on or off - but its not there t all - just TP - which seems to work.

have i bougt a dud unit ?

It's possibly a dud unit, but they're pretty reliable.

i've got a couple of units, and whenever the radio is selected (FM at least - never tried AM), you should see RDS in the left side of the small display. If you press the button above it, you should see a small asterisk appear, to indicate RDS is enabled.

with RDS enabled, you should see the station name instead of the frequency. When you change to a different channel, it will also, briefly, tell you the program type before showing the station name.

Cheers,

Ian.

Sorted the aux in with another cable now all working ok but still no RDS at all - think im just going to stick with it as the radio works and picks up all the stations it just doesnt display the station name - just the frequency. 

Oddly the TP feature still seems to work which i thought was part of RDS ?

I think I've figured this out.

Turn the unit off. Then press and hold the little 'm' button, and turn the unit on (keep holding the 'm' button). After about 8 seconds, you should see the serial number of the unit. At this point, you can let go of the 'm' button. 

Now press the far left button that has a picture of a clock on it. I'm guessing yours will say RDS OFF. Using the left/right arrow buttons (either side of the 'm' button), select AF OFF, and then turn the unit off to exit the setup menu. 

Turn it back on, and you should now have RDS :D

Cheers,

Ian.

Edited by ian332isport