Potty chef

Is it going to be ok doc?

Hi guys got some bad news, first off its a e46 330d auto. coming home today and I started to loose power atound the 2k mark also noticing there was no turbo spool. At this point I pulled over to have a look. I have put the car into nuteral and she revs up like nothings wrong??? Go to drive away again and there is just no power she crawls up to 40 and I notice a small amount to smoke from the rear and a burning smell. even all this going the Eml didn't come on. So I'm thinking turbo has had its last spin but I'm no mechanic any one got any ideas? Many thanks lee

I didn't get any warning lights when my turbo gave out last month. Was burning oil on acceleration, no whistle anymore. Grinding / rattle noise from turbo. It was running fine till it hit the point when the turbo should have kicked in so sub 2k revs on a flat road it was ok. As soon as it was under strain it was knackered. (330cd) 

Yes that sounds like what mine has done. Did you refurb your turbo or just get a new one 

My dmf was on its last legs and they found a crack in the exhaust manifold. At 200k miles it wasn't worth repairing (£2-2.5k estimates) clutch and dmf fitted was £800. Turbo recon £450 ish plus labour plus the manifold replacement £500 plus labour. Aircon packed up a while back and a few other repairs were looking imminent so I ended up selling it to a local mechanic who wanted it and would get it back running. 

Get it checked first in case it's something simple like a split hose etc. Don't rush out and replace it without knowing that's definitely the issue. 

Update. 

So car has been in the garage and they have found a crack in the egr cooler pipe.So ordered a new one of those, hoping this is what has caused the lack of power have noticed there are 3 outlets to the pipe can anyone tell me what each of the gose to? Could I not just blank them all off and do a egr delete? Also would this crack cause my lack of power? Thanks 

couple of write ups on here of how to do away with all the pipe for egr/cooler,do a search,infact heer it is...

Edited by rasa

Check your MAP sensor! These can go wrong occasionally and this is what tells the turbo to boost (in a roundabout way). I left mine unplugged by accident once and it was like driving an N/A diesel.

Only about £25 for a new one so worth a punt I would say.

Update: so I have taken the old pipe off now and am awaiting the replacement so I can fit it on my next day off. Fingers crossed this is all the issue and that order is restored, i will probably blank off the egr but problem I'm having is that there are 4 pipes involved in this part and I can't block the cooling pipes that run into the egr cooler just in case it also runs to other parts in the engine not to mention blocking it off down by the turbo would be a pain. If it was even do able. Will let you know if it is fixed on Tuesday. 

Have a look at the guide I wrote which Rasa posted, after advice from @JasonKruys I blanked the coolant hoses, been like this for ages now with no problems.

Right! Good news the car is running again with no issues. Gave a large amount of black smoke but I expect that's a build up from having the crack in the pipe. My next question is the cooler part of the three pipes has brackets but I have no bolts to hold it on. I don't know if they where there when it went into the garage or not but it would explain why the other pipe cracked because of the vibration, so can anyone tell me what bolts I need to get or where I can find this out. Cheers