hd330

Headlight Washer leak?

Hi Guys - Bit of help please 2002 330Ci

Getting what I assume is washer fluid leaking front RHS and the low fluid light comes on probably once a week at the moment I have to keep topping it up. 

I think it's the front right headlight washer as I'm getting a puddle around the light on the Tarmac so Am I right in thinking if I disconnect the pump for them this will help my problem? 

If not could someone give me some tips on what I can disconnect/plug up to fix this? 

Any help much appreciated. Cheers

15 minutes ago, Ragamuffin said:

Common problem on older models. I get around the problem by simply not using them, and they seem to plug themselves up. It helps where I am as its a hard water area.

Problem is it's just leaking when the cars not being used. I don't want to use them? And I've hArdly driven the car in the rain. 

Is there a way of unplugging them that's fairly simple or plugging the wires up?

You could probably remove the pump from the washer fluid tank and plug the hole in the tank as a quick fix if you plan on never using them. Could also go as far as getting a replacement tank without the hole for the headlight washer pump (if that's even a thing...) as that tank is much easier to remove / fit than a washer jet is.

I went down the replacement jet route as mine also leaked all the time.

Edited by jamesfoley

2 hours ago, hd330 said:

Is there a way of unplugging them that's fairly simple or plugging the wires up?

What you could do is take the rubber water pipes off the washer rams and simply screw a bolt in the end of each pipe. This has been done by plenty on here.

23 minutes ago, Ragamuffin said:

What you could do is take the rubber water pipes off the washer rams and simply screw a bolt in the end of each pipe. This has been done by plenty on here.

3 hours ago, jamesfoley said:

You could probably remove the pump from the washer fluid tank and plug the hole in the tank as a quick fix if you plan on never using them. Could also go as far as getting a replacement tank without the hole for the headlight washer pump (if that's even a thing...) as that tank is much easier to remove / fit than a washer jet is.

I went down the replacement jet route as mine also leaked all the time.

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. 

Not very DIY over here. Any chance there's any good DIY videos/photo follow throughs that I can follow or you describe really simply which bits need removing & plugging? 

Thanks a lot. Much appreciated 

Ive replaced my washers a few times and they always seem to end up leaking again so in the end did similar to what youve done, except i used a proper rubber bung rather than a screw in case it rusts. I also unplugged the headlight washer pump next to the resevoir so that the bungs arent under pressure.

My solution to this was to drain the tank, remove the pump from the tank, cut a finger off a rubber glove and put it over the inlet of the pump, then replace the pump. Then I just disconnected the electrical connector to the pump, and disabled headlight cleaning using NCSExpert (purely to stop any errors when scanning the HVAC system).

When you fill the tank back up the screenwash is stopped by the rubber glove.

Its an easy fix takes about 10 minutes, what I've found is muck and crap get stuck behind the rubber bung in the non return valve thus not sealing and allowing washer fluid pass. This is how to fix it, pull out affending washer i use a plastic cable tie threaded behind  the painted cover. Once out just pull on the nozzle pulling it out of the tube, between the 2 spray jets there is a round disc this needs to be prised out i used an electrical screwdriver, behind the disc is a non return valve made up of a rubber bung and a spring. Take care when removing the disc as the spring will fly out, once apart clean the inside and the rubber bung once this is all clean putting back is reversal of taking apart.