BeemerGaz

Pioneer head unit fitting help please

Hi folks,

It's time for an update...

I've at last started the process of swapping over the stereos. Initially it was a bit of a pig getting the wooden trim bits off but eventually they gave in and popped off without any damage done. Cutting a long story short I've plugged in all the possible connections and installed the cage and stereo fascia adaptor...luckily the stereo kicks in and it all sounds fantastic. I've also plugged in the steering wheel adaptor thingy which also works perfectly well.

I've included some pics to show you what i mean...there seems about 28 miles of wires, cables and boxes behind the stereo so there's not even a slim chance of fitting them all inside the dash without it looking shockingly bad. I'm unable to remove the glove box as it's raining quite heavily and I didn't want to keep the door open and end up getting inside the door soaking wet. I'll take the glove box of tomorrow morning but I was wondering if it's a pain in the bum doing so. I can feel 3 screws along the top which would need removed...is there anymore?

I've attempted to remove the side pillar trim to fit the DAB aerial but to no avail...I'm not best pleased having to man handle it too much just in case something snaps. I'm assuming you need to remove the narrow strip in the middle which will reveal the screws.

Sorry for the overly long winded query but these things take time...if you want anymore info then fire away.

Cheers...

PS I'll obviously post another couple of pics once it's all up and running

IMG_20170201_150012.jpg

IMG_20170201_145353.jpg

IMG_20170201_145258.jpg

I meant to upload a pic of the old stereo before I removed it...

IMG_20160513_163644.jpg

The glovebox is three screws along the top, one screw behind the little fabric strap connected to the glove box, another on the exact opposite side, and the last is on the bottom left corner in the footwell next to the door.

For the A pillar, you pop off the airbag strip to reveal 3 Torx screws. Once the screws are out you can pull the trim away from the pillar first at an angle, then pull out from the dash. The little strip covering the screws does have some tiny fragile clips that break easily so be careful of those. Once the glovebox is out its much easier to route a cable through the dash and to the stereo.

There is plenty of room in the space between the glovebox and the radio to stick cables and such.

Edited by jamesfoley

Thanks very much James for your help. I did think it best removing the glove box so I didn't have to try and shove all the wires etc down behind the stereo and risk unplugging or breaking something.

I'll hopefully have it all completed by this time tomorrow...fingers crossed!

Thanks again

Well it's taken about an absolute age but it's all finally fitted...

I ended up removing the glove box but didn't bother with the air vents as they were just not budging and I didn't really want to force them.

Removing the side airbag strip/trim was a pain as I didn't realize that the 3 bolts holding it on were roughly 48 feet long. The DAB antenna was fixed to the windscreen and the lead run down inside the trim piece then it was pushed snugly between the rubber seal and the dashboard then around the glove box and into the stereo.

Pushing all the wires and boxes back safely behind the stereo took a while but was worth the hassle.

Everything works as it should including the DAB.

Thanks very much to all those who've helped in the process...these things can take time!

Here's a couple of pics of the install

IMG_20170418_152241.jpg

IMG_20170418_152346.jpg