EditionFortuneSixshooter

318TI Dash lights & first BMW

Hi everyone

I have just bought my first BMW and got a BMW 318TI Compact. Everyone has to start somewhere, right?

Having owned solely Japanese cars pre 2000 i have never even owned a car that has Engine lights or at least Nowhere near as many dash lights that is on this new stead. 

I was looking for a compact with good service history and good condition for a few months until i found this. It was suggested i get myself an App called Torque Pro and scan the OBD port for any faults before buying and as long as that is clear and the car has no rust and drives okay and no unusual noise and i get a good price then get it s that is what i did.

When you first put the key in the ignition it displays the next service interval in miles and then on next key turn it lights up quite a few lights. These are

Handbrake

Oil

Battery

EML

Engine management light 

Once i start the engine all the lights bar the handbrake turn off.

I just want to know does it mean i have a problem? Or, since they turned of is that just a usual occurrence and i have nothing to worry about? I have a long history of getting screwed over by mechanics so i wanted to seek advice before going to a mechanic and being told everything has had it and the bill will be £££££ 

The car had a service according to the book less than 100 miles ago but i do not know what it included because all the air cabin filter is disgusting so i am thinking i should get it fully serviced. Is it easy to do this yourself on a BMW or is it really a job for BMW themselves? I always changed my oil and all filters myself twice a year.

The coolant does not have a float in the chamber and it looks quite low but is there a way to tell without having a float? Or will i need to get one, and if so, where? The only reason i ask is it seems to be quite smokey for a petrol and thought it might be due to low coolant.

Thanks very much for your help!

If the lights don't come on when you first turn the key then the lights themselves aren't working. They should turn off after starting the engine. If they come back on while driving or if they don't go off after starting the engine you've got a problem.

Obviously if they don't come on when you first turn the key obviously you won't know when you have a fault when driving so always check that they are working when you first start up