jayk

New daily, 320cd or 330cd?

Hi All,

My first post here but I have been a BMW owner in the past, about 5 years ago I had a E46 M3, and a E46 330Ci Msport. 

Since then I have had company cars, currently have a 2013 A3 SportBack Sline TDI 150, which will be going back soon. I have a weekend car so recently started look at for something cheap but still nice, and of good quality. Im looking for something quieter inside than my A3, and a better seating position.

I have seen you can get a really nice 320cd 2004 90K miles for around 3K now, I do circa 1800 miles a month to work and back alone so economy is really key, over 4 years I will do easily 100K miles. 

A part of me fancies the 330cd over the 320cd and an auto, but then sensible me says the go for better fuel economy as I have a weekend toy. My trip is mostly A/B roads, some stop and start but not much. What kind of fuel economy could I expect form these? The road tax difference is quite abit and over 4 years its £440, also Im guessing the insurance is cheaper on the 320cd? Does anyone have a general annual running cost over 4 years?

Also is maintenance on these similar? Is it better to go for a manual than an auto to Isolate from issues? My 330Ci 2005 auto box did drop into limp mode leaving me stranded once, but a software reset/upgrade and it never happened again, that was at 145K miles.

Thanks.

I've owned both (in fact the 330ci too a few years ago) and whilst the 330cd has considerably more power (or torque) a remapped 320cd is more than enough to get about in. I was getting silly mpg figures like 65 on the motorway and 40's around time. Bear in mind that I drive around in Birmingham traffic usually at rush hour. If I was doing your kind of mileage I would defo go for the 320cd. That was a remapped manual.

As for the 330cd (both remapped again) these are my figures for the same journeys:

Manual - 29-31 around town 48-58 motorway (I think I have a boost leak hence the variance in mpg)

Auto - 22-25 around town 42-50 motorway

So again, go for the 320cd based on economy 

Go 330d,i naverage 40 mpg summer(mixed driving) and thats brim to brim not obd rubbish,far better engine than the trctor like 320d,althought he 320d is a good engine,just not a patch on the 330d,if you get a manual get a remap to 260 ish bhp to keep everything in line with what the clutch and drive train componenets cxan safely handle.

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

As a new 320Cd owner (a couple of months now), yes the diesel is noisy on start up, but on the move, you can hardly tell the difference between petrol and diesel (this is my first diesel so I'm extra critical of them). It's hardly a tractor sound!. The car is not mapped (yet) but I'm getting approximately 44mpg from my daily commute which consists of 7 miles of A roads and 8 miles of dual carriageway. Times two obviously. And that's not driving like a saint either!. Road tax I think is £180.00 per year and protected NCB insurance I can get for about £205.00 per year (possibly due to my more erm..mature age). The guys on here rave about the 330Cd but I've never driven one, so can't compare the torque but the 320Cd doesn't appear to be a slouch. Put your foot down and it pulls really well.

I think it comes down to the all-round cost of car and yearly bills - if you have the finances, go for the 330Cd, if not (and you don't regret your purchase), go for the 320Cd. Perhaps drive both if you can before buying. 

The 330d is a cheap car to run and buy,if its looked after mechanically,ive only had to replace wear and tear items in three years of ownership,ive had a 320d engine.although in an mgzt cdti,which was running 160 bhp,and i can tell you the torque before and after the 330d remap is just stupid in comparison,my 330d produces 420 ftlbs of torque(510 nm) and when in gear there aint many cars that could keep up,my focus st is running 302 bhp with 360 ftlbs and i have to drop a gear to get the best out of it,but with my 330d i just put foot down(say fifth doing 60 mph,but im not saying the 320 is a poor engine,its good,but the 330d is great and very quiet compared to the 320d.

Edited by Daz 330 Cs

The auto box is bullet proof as long as you catch it before the two common solonoids fail. I got my 330d auto at 88k and replaced them straight away, the filter and magnet was clean as a whistle so got a good box. I get mid 40s mpg on b roads n into the 50s on the motorway. 80mph is more economical than 70 on the autos aswel

Cheers for helpful info guys. I still have my company car for a while before I hand it back. Ideally I want to keep the costs down on the daily as I have a weekend toy, so it seems as the 320cd Manual is currently looking like a winner. Although i do not think i will be overly fussy over a manual or auto too much. 

On 3 September 2016 at 15:49, craigyt said:

The auto box is bullet proof as long as you catch it before the two common solonoids fail. I got my 330d auto at 88k and replaced them straight away, the filter and magnet was clean as a whistle so got a good box. I get mid 40s mpg on b roads n into the 50s on the motorway. 80mph is more economical than 70 on the autos aswel

I have the same and will never see that god knows how you manage, I get low/mid 30s on b's and early 40's on a run I don't drive like an arse but not miss daisy either, then again I'm going by the obc maybe I should fill it do 150-200 miles, fill again and get a true figure. I've also been thinking about converting to manual and looking at some US forums, they're not scared to do stuff like that there.

That many miles a month, 330d every time. You want a mile muncher with some poke.

My GF has a new job which involves 100 mile round trip every day, so well in excess of 2000 miles / month.

She needs a motorway cruiser, so went for a 330d.

On 9/18/2016 at 08:36, mjn said:

That many miles a month, 330d every time. You want a mile muncher with some poke.

My GF has a new job which involves 100 mile round trip every day, so well in excess of 2000 miles / month.

She needs a motorway cruiser, so went for a 330d.

My mileage is A roads and no motorway, so the 330d will do alot less around them I am guessing? Still thinking a 320cd is a winner.

Did see a clubsport and quite fancy it but fuel will kill me.

On 03/09/2016 at 07:56, rasa said:

The 330d is a cheap car to run and buy,if its looked after mechanically,ive only had to replace wear and tear items in three years of ownership,ive had a 320d engine.although in an mgzt cdti,which was running 160 bhp,and i can tell you the torque before and after the 330d remap is just stupid in comparison,my 330d produces 420 ftlbs of torque(510 nm) and when in gear there aint many cars that could keep up,my focus st is running 302 bhp with 360 ftlbs and i have to drop a gear to get the best out of it,but with my 330d i just put foot down(say fifth doing 60 mph,but im not saying the 320 is a poor engine,its good,but the 330d is great and very quiet compared to the 320d.

It comes down to the previous owner, any car can be a money pit. My 330cd has been nothing but problems, and thats a manual. Maybe its a bit of a Friday afternoon car, but replaced all suspension recently (shocks, topmounts, suspension bushes, ARB bushes) and now its in for Clutch, DMF and at least 2 injectors. I don't drive hard and have always ran it on premium diesel. 

If I had my time over I would have kept a 320cd and had it mapped. 190bhp and whatever torque you can get to would be more than enough. It was still smooth, cheaper insurance, cheaper tax, cheaper to buy now and better economy, especially for motorway miles. My 320cd would cruise at 80 easily and still get 650 miles to a tank on motorway, 600 normally. That was driving like a bit of a tit sometimes too. My 330cd (maybe due to injectors) will only get 550 on motorway at 75, 500 normally and thats driving like Miss Daisy. The 320cd felt sprightly in comparison to my 330cd.

If you go 330d Id go for manual, only because the auto boxes can fail easily leaving you with a big bill. As I have said, its all dependant on how the previous owner has looked after it. You can dote on it but the damage may already be done in terms or wear and tear.