chocka

Dust gaurd for rear brakes

I need to change the dust guard that sits behind the rear disc on the o/s as the holes that hold the springs for the handbrake pads have rusted.

I have bought the new guard but am struggling to get the bolts out of the old one.

There are 4 bolts in total, 2 x 10mm & 2 x 5/8"/16mm, got the 10mm ones out no problem but can't get the 5/8" one as the bolt heads are very thin. Have ground down a socket so it just fit over but still won't budge.

Any suggestions?

can you not just cut old one off,plate i mean,i had to replace both rear plates coz of poor handbrake,but cannot remember exactly how it was taken off,but i know to replace the new ones we just cut a slit in the new backplate and bent it a bit,then fitted and straightened,saves taking hub and bearing out,the bearings have to be replaced when doing it if you go down that route,as they are compromised when taking them out and are no good.

39 minutes ago, chocka said:

managed to get the 1/4 turn spring pin that holds the shoes to the back plate to stay in place so car got thru MOT, will have another go at the large bolts in a few weeks

I would get it sorted sooner than later, i had this happen were both the pins came out and smashed all the pins, springs and shoes up. Such a silly design. 

12 hours ago, R11CH said:

I would get it sorted sooner than later, i had this happen were both the pins came out and smashed all the pins, springs and shoes up. Such a silly design. 

i replaced the whoe kit when i put new backplates on,my handbrake still sounds awful at times,clunking and so on,im sure one of the cables has broken or is ready to go,dont know which side,im assuming it has two cables as when i put handbrake on it feels like the car squats lower on one side when applying it.

20 minutes ago, rasa said:

i replaced the whoe kit when i put new backplates on,my handbrake still sounds awful at times,clunking and so on,im sure one of the cables has broken or is ready to go,dont know which side,im assuming it has two cables as when i put handbrake on it feels like the car squats lower on one side when applying it.

Should be quiet when spinning the wheels over, maybe need to slacken the adjuster off a little. 

Yes it has two cables, one for each side and adjusters under the handbrake gator in the car. I find jacking the rear of the car up put the handbrake on 3 clicks then adjust the adjusters on the handbrake through a wheel bolt hole so you can no longer turn the wheel easily then fine tune via the adjusters under the handbrake gator, you should get an even handbrake with no catching when releasing the handbrake.

done all that.although the bolt/nit under gator could of been wound out a bit more,see what mot says next month.