Quinny320d

What's needed to fit the asteroid parrot smart please

Seen few headunits I like but swaying to the parrot asteroid smart over the dynavin and eonon variety. 

However im getting bit confused to what additional parts I need to make it fit.

am i right in thinking a universal double din fascia off eBay for the e46 is needed and also a unika ISO cable for the steering wheel?

pictures inserted below? 

Im not fussed for the climate control relocation bracket as I'm not paying £50-£60 for that seen many people say it slides in fine on the sunglasses holder

ive got a business model Headunit in my e46 currently 

IMG_3728.PNG

IMG_3727.PNG

1 hour ago, Trevor said:

Not sure anyone on here has fitted one....?

Yeah maybe so struggling to find the exact info I need to make sure I get the right bits, really deciddd that the eonon or dynavin are not worth the risk as seen people mention things can go wrong with them. The parrot looks solid

The Asteroid smart is a standard double din unit, so the only things you need are a wiring harness to match your car harness (17 pin or 40 pin / flat or round pin) and a fascia adaptor... basically everything you needed to know you already had in your first post.

1 hour ago, dontpannic said:

The Asteroid smart is a standard double din unit, so the only things you need are a wiring harness to match your car harness (17 pin or 40 pin / flat or round pin) and a fascia adaptor... basically everything you needed to know you already had in your first post.

Hi mate thanks for the reply,  I wasn't sure if it needed a cage modified to install it as I don't know how it stays secure in the hole made by removing the standard cage 

ive just bought one and im in the process of fitting today :)  Progress report later !   I didnt buy the unika but bought the connects 2 e46 specific one (cheaper as well)

ive chopped my original stereo / sunglasses holder mount up with a dremmel and managed to fit the parrot in the mount - just about ! not sure yet how flush its going to be in the actual car though !   be on in a couple of hours once ive started on the actual car.  Ive ordered some right angle usb converters and right angle rca converters but they are not here yet

Mine came with a standard size double din cage and after chopping and mounting for a couple of hours I found out that it makes the unit 2 mm high in the dash and the top trim doesn't fit nicely so had to redo without the cage. Now fits OK. Still had to do some trimming to my top trim as my £7.99 amazon special fascia plate didn't fit under it properly. 

I honestly don't think I can face all the hassle trying to fit the Parrot asteroid, seems less than straightforward to get a good fit and needs lots of fabrication to get it secure. Then the extra cost of the cables it all adds up quite an expense. 

Think i will end up going towards an eonon 6150f for all the s**t that's given I think the parrots a lot of work and I'm not confident enough to do it. 

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 16:05, dontpannic said:

People like to s**t on the Chinese units but they're really not bad, especially for the price.

Unlike any of the other 'premium' brands, they actually are designed for the E46 dash.

This is true, if a purchaser gets a unit that works out of the box and continues to work fully and properly long term. As I'm sure you are aware, the vast majority of purchasers of these units don't experience that. When issues/problems occur, there's very little support and help from the seller and the UK based and registered business's who tried to offer good after sales care and help over the last few years have all either gone out of business or stopped selling the units due to the volumes of returned/failed/problematic units.

The physical size of them does indeed fit the E46 dash aperture and do have a pseudo OEM look about them which really is their only actual advantage over a traditional double DIN unit.

Quinny320d - 'Hopefully' the unit you get does turn out to be a good one that continues to work properly long term for you.

Cheers, Dennis!