ACaden

hello back to the forum after years!, my 330ci

Hello,

I bought a automatic 330ci 2003 model with 97000 on the clock, 4 owners with full service history major one done this year with lots of invoices, so I thought lets go for it,  I use to have a bmw clubsport 330ci before so I know how good these cars are.

I not really had a good start in the last couple of days with my 330ci since I bought it,

1. notice a oil leak on my drive, so I decided to have a look under the car, oil all over underneath the car.

2. Oil light keeps coming on every time I start the car then goes off after 10 seconds, oil is topped up to max so I don't know what that is.

3. the car feels sluggish compared to my last 330ci, feel like when I put my foot down on the accelerator the rev don't go up very much. on test drive I didn't get a chance to test it on the moterway

4. This is the worse one yet, I got a diagnostic tool, since I just bought the car I better plug it in and check everything out, (dam wish I took my diagnostic tool with me when I viewed the car) plugged it in my port and it did bring up a code, P0741  looked this code up on the internet and my stomach dropped when I saw it (Torque Converter Clutch Circuit Performance or solenoid Stuck Off) pointing that the torque converter could be on its way out.

5. droning or whining noise when you accelerate, I noticed this noise when I test drove the car, but I just thought be a pulley or the alternator was on the way out or something. i am guessing it could be linked with the torque converter.

if anyone has any ideas or could help or advice me i be highly grateful, i don't really want to part ex the car in and take a 700quid loss, its such a nice car :(

I hope i posted in the right section.

Cheers,

Anth

I'd clear the codes and rescan in a week. See if it comes back. 

Could be an old code. Could also be why it was for sale. Try and see. 

Oil leaks aren't the end of the earth. Had several on mine, all done now. Sump gasket was worst, had to send into garage for that one. Engine should come out for that. They managed to lift it enough to do it without actually removing the engine. 

I did oil filter housing and valve cover gasket myself. They were straightforward. 

Good luck anyway. 

Edited by Trevor

Regarding point 2 - that's the oil level sensor saying it's faulty! Mines exactly the same - it's easy and cheap to replace but you'll drop the oil out of the sump when you do. So it's a job to be tackled when the oils next changed, mine decided to die 2 days after the last oil change naturally.

n Point 3, just to eliminate the really simple things, try the Throttle Adaptation Reset:

MRyan is right regarding oil level sensor, jut wait till your next oil change, it's a very common fault.

Bad news on torque converter, atleast you've caught it BEFORE it all goes boom!