jammo

I'm back in the BMW world!

Well it's been a little while but I'm back!

After owning the m3, I needed to free up money for my wedding this year and wasn't in any position to face any massive unexpected bills. So a Honda civic fn2 type r <_<

That was short lived to say the least. Desperate to get back into a nice rwd I had a 350z for a while...it lacked the luxery touches of a BMW but it was set up to be a right blast on the roads!

Anyway im back for a deal I could not refuse and I've now picked up a e92 330i m sport. I know its not an e46 again (had my fair share of them) but I've met some decent guys on this forum and hopefully can get back in touch and get involved in some meets again! 

So hi again :D

Another e9x owner :D

No, I really didn't! As a car there is nothing wrong with the fn2 and OK it was fairly exciting when getting through the rev range and hitting VTEC BUT you had to scream its nuts off all the time to have any fun with it and other then that it felt like a pretty average 1.6 family car on normal use. 

If I was younger I'm sure it would have been a great car but coming from an m3 it was just boring!

On the other hand I've found the e92 to be cheaper to run, despite the bigger engine and it still gives me a decent level of satisfaction whilst driving. 

The only thing I don't like about the newer BMW petrol engines is the diesel like injector sound coming from the engine and the non existent sound from the exhaust (exhaust flap open) so that needs to be rectified!!

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 09:16, jammo said:

No, I really didn't! As a car there is nothing wrong with the fn2 and OK it was fairly exciting when getting through the rev range and hitting VTEC BUT you had to scream its nuts off all the time to have any fun with it and other then that it felt like a pretty average 1.6 family car on normal use. 

If I was younger I'm sure it would have been a great car but coming from an m3 it was just boring!

On the other hand I've found the e92 to be cheaper to run, despite the bigger engine and it still gives me a decent level of satisfaction whilst driving. 

The only thing I don't like about the newer BMW petrol engines is the diesel like injector sound coming from the engine and the non existent sound from the exhaust (exhaust flap open) so that needs to be rectified!!

LOL...fair enough mate,mine`s not standard so  TEC kicks in @3800rpm...still nice to go 0-60 in 6.5 odd seconds in 2nd gear,but I get where your coming from jammo..and the e92 in 3LTR flavour is veeery nice...ill look out for you....if we ever get the local roadworks finished  to be able to drive anywhere!!!..

Mryan had a really nice aftermarket exhaust on his previous e46...cheers bud

On 15/11/2016 at 18:35, Sonar Daddy said:

LOL...fair enough mate,mine`s not standard so  TEC kicks in @3800rpm..

Does that actually work well in the real world? I thought the point of vtec was that you had torque (ish!) at low revs and power at high? Doesn't moving the high lift cam down into the lower part of the rev range kill drivability?

(I don't know much about cams and stuff, but know that with the E30 it's a case of the bigger cams robbing low down power, as seems to be a fairly universal rule)

On 16 November 2016 at 20:08, TriggerFish said:

Does that actually work well in the real world? I thought the point of vtec was that you had torque (ish!) at low revs and power at high? Doesn't moving the high lift cam down into the lower part of the rev range kill drivability?

(I don't know much about cams and stuff, but know that with the E30 it's a case of the bigger cams robbing low down power, as seems to be a fairly universal rule)

No,its fine mate,for a 2 ltr 200bhp hatchback,i find it quite funky.....the group n map on flashpro(hand held mapping device) lowers the tec window,then,personally,i have had the map smoothed out so its less "kick" and more even,gear-change rev overhang is horrendous on stock FN2...so that's gone with the map...:D

To be fair in VTEC it did feel pretty fun, I had intake, js racing catback and eibach springs on mine. I just couldn't get on with not being in VTEC, which as a daily was pretty much all the time lol. I did hear that the flashpro transformed how it would drive though.

In reality I missed rwd though. The e92 still isn't a touch on the previous 350z and m3 that I owned, its just more of a nicer place to be as a daily. 

I won't mention the 5.5 v8 amg I've got sat at home too :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, jammo said:

No, you must!

With pictures too!

12 hours ago, TriggerFish said:

No, you must!

With pictures too!

awww yes....amg....pics n more pics:lol:

13 hours ago, jammo said:

To be fair in VTEC it did feel pretty fun, I had intake, js racing catback and eibach springs on mine. I just couldn't get on with not being in VTEC, which as a daily was pretty much all the time lol. I did hear that the flashpro transformed how it would drive though.

In reality I missed rwd though. The e92 still isn't a touch on the previous 350z and m3 that I owned, its just more of a nicer place to be as a daily. 

Local owner in yateley had a jr`s 60 catback on his until recently....they do sound nice...had a marty on mine when I bought it....beautiful rally sound but just too loud for a daily after a year!!...but,yeah....amg...that`ll do...pics a must:D

Think i may have purchased thats j's exhaust from the guy in yately earlier this year!! Red civic?

1 hour ago, jammo said:

Think i may have purchased thats j's exhaust from the guy in yately earlier this year!! Red civic?

yep,thats the one......too loud for the track days he was doing:o

Congrats Jammo (on the wedding) and getting back to BMW. I've been quite busy recently so just seen this! Welcome back :)