IOM_Matt

Angel eyes e46 330D SE late 04 facelift

On 05/12/2016 at 13:14, dontpannic said:

As I'm in the middle of this horrendous xenon install/repair/conversion/nightmare, I may as well fit angel eyes while I've got the headlights in pieces! 

Few questions though.. 

Do they just run instead of the sidelights? Or as well as? Or are they on all the time, on every headlight beam? 

Where do they plug in? Do they use the sidelights plug maybe?

Is it easy for someone with no wiring expertise (other than plugging and unplugging things) to fit? 

Where do those ballast-like bits go? 

Cheers! 

Mine basically replace the side lights, they come when the sidelights owuld have done. You can get them to do more like when you unlock the doors etc. The ballasts just need to be stuffed somewhere, but they do fail (mine have just failed after 2 years, so put them somewhere you can access and replace.

Here's some pics from mine: 

This is the guide I followed: 

21 hours ago, The_Judge_ said:

Mine basically replace the side lights, they come when the sidelights owuld have done. You can get them to do more like when you unlock the doors etc. The ballasts just need to be stuffed somewhere, but they do fail (mine have just failed after 2 years, so put them somewhere you can access and replace.

Here's some pics from mine: 

This is the guide I followed: 

Great, thank you! OK from reading those threads it doesn't look too bad. 

So do you literally just take the plug that went into the sidelight bulb, and plug it the wire(s) from the angel eyes into that? Is that what I can see on this pic below? Or do you have to solder bare wires into that plug? Or just poke them in or something?

IMG_20150111_093748375_zps41a8b7b5.jpg

On 4/30/2017 at 10:28, Robotson said:

As I'm in the middle of this horrendous xenon install/repair/conversion/nightmare, I may as well fit angel eyes while I've got the headlights in pieces! 

Few questions though.. 

Do they just run instead of the sidelights? Or as well as? Or are they on all the time, on every headlight beam? 

Where do they plug in? Do they use the sidelights plug maybe?

Is it easy for someone with no wiring expertise (other than plugging and unplugging things) to fit? 

Where do those ballast-like bits go? 

Cheers! 

OK, let me see...

Mine were wired in completely independently of the sidelights, to the torch charger behind the glovebox. The feed for that is the 'consumer load' circuit, which is on when you unlock the car, and shuts off when the car is locked or the alarm armed (or after 16 minutes if the car is switched off and isn't locked). This gave me native 'welcome light' control via the stock remote control without having to run wires to the interior lights to fade them in and out and in and out when you get in and drive off (which I think looks a bit iffy).

You can wire them up however you see fit. If you only want them on as sidelights, then wire them in to the sidelight plug. If you want them as welcome lights + DRL's, you can wire them to the footwell light, or what I did and to the glovebox torch charger.

With no wiring expertise, sidelights is easiest. Unplug the sidelight connector, and 99% of these angel eye kits have plugs on the end of the power cables which will happily plug straight in to the standard connector.

Ballasts go whereever. They have double sided sticky pads on the back normally, peel and stick out of the way of moisture and excess heat.

On 2016-12-5 at 13:14, dontpannic said:
On 2017-5-3 at 13:44, Robotson said:

Cool, thanks for the advice both. 

I've gone for these ones as they're round, and have plugs!: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332188011053 

Well that was a waste of money. They didn't come with any instructions, they don't come with any plugs on the end so I just have to poke the ends of the wires into the sidelights plug.. But worst of all, they are not the right size to fit onto the plastic silver rings in front of the projector headlights. The seller was adamant that they are right, but they are too big to stick to said rings. They're almost big enough to go around the silver ring completely.. But not quite. So in short they don't bloody fit! The nightmare continues.. 

On 2016-12-5 at 13:14, dontpannic said:
On 2017-5-3 at 13:44, Robotson said:

Cool, thanks for the advice both. 

I've gone for these ones as they're round, and have plugs!: 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332188011053 

Well that was a waste of money. They didn't come with any instructions, they don't come with any plugs on the end so I just have to poke the ends of the wires into the sidelights plug.. But worst of all, they are not the right size to fit onto the plastic silver rings in front of the projector headlights. The seller was adamant that they are right, but they are too big to stick to said rings. They're almost big enough to go around the silver ring completely.. But not quite. So in short they don't bloody fit! The nightmare continues.. 

Tried fitting them again after the seller convinced me they fit. They don't. Totally f**ked up the silver rings around the lights with glue now. And then.. Would you believe it, the silver on them comes off when any moisture such as a bit of saliva touches it?! 

If anyone's looking to buy them for their e46 facelift coupe with projector headlights, avoid the seller called Alltronix on ebay and amazon like the plague.