Tazman861

Bigger throttle body for 330i

Hi all,

Just seen on eBay a bigger throttle body for a 330i. It's up from 68mm to 72mm. I know it's only 4mm but apparently that's quite a bit.

I've read various threads where the Dinan one is discussed but it's expensive and that's it's downfall, this one is £94 exchange.

Has anyone fitted one? Does it make any difference? And before I get told to buy an M3 I don't want one and I haven't got 10k to buy a good one! I'm just looking to get the best out of my car.

I'm going to fit 328i headers and an after cat exhaust and then a remap, it's got a Dinan CAI so I'm hoping for a more driveable solution not out and out power.

Oh yes, I put it on a rolling road last week and it gave 224bhp and 218ft/lb - not bad for 162,000 miles!!

Any worthwhile comments appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen it and been wondering about this too. It is highly recommended to enlarge the throttle body aka big bore throttle body (bbtb) on E30s and E36 328i's also respond well to 325i's larger inlet manifold so I'm sure these should help the M54 breath better too.

Edited by 87mtech27

Yea I might give it a try cos it's only £94 whereas a dinan one is around $700!! And the Americans say it's too dear so hopefully it's worth it?

I might contact the seller and see if he's got anything to back up claims?

I personally can't find it...can you post up the ebay item number please mate...ta muchly.

Just found it. Looks genuine enough and a pretty good price. The seller has had a lot of positive feedback including some for the throttle body. Did you eventually decide to buy this and if so did it make a difference? Cheers

One is on my to buy list also, not sure if the gains would be better or worse with the super charger ?

I haven't bought one yet but I am going to, the fat bloke in the red suit had a do going on so funds are pre spent this month but I'll get one soon.

I've worked out its 12% bigger than standard, it should help with the blower cos at the end of the day more air in will allow more fuel to keep the ratio the same and that equals more power, at least that's what I've told myself[emoji1]

I feel your pain re having a lack of monies having just spent out on a set of front shocks. I've been in contact with the ebay seller who will end up needing the throttle body for 2 days, so more than likely will have to be without the car for about a week or so what with postage etc.

Tricky thing for me is getting it off the car in the first place as it looks to be a pig of a job...but then again I've got the patience of an angry gorilla.

It's not that bad to remove, I took my one off and cleaned it and the idle control valve when I binned my CCV. I did find a split bung on the end of the inlet manifold which I replaced and my idle is now much better[emoji106].

You'll find a couple of the nuts very awkward and you'll need to feel them more than see them. Be prepared to replace the rubber inlet hoses while you're there, mine had a small split on the idle control part. I replaced them both with silicone ones from Ram air, they won't split

On 25/11/2016 at 15:39, Tazman861 said:

Hi all,

Just seen on eBay a bigger throttle body for a 330i. It's up from 68mm to 72mm. I know it's only 4mm but apparently that's quite a bit.

I've read various threads where the Dinan one is discussed but it's expensive and that's it's downfall, this one is £94 exchange.

Has anyone fitted one? Does it make any difference? And before I get told to buy an M3 I don't want one and I haven't got 10k to buy a good one! I'm just looking to get the best out of my car.

I'm going to fit 328i headers and an after cat exhaust and then a remap, it's got a Dinan CAI so I'm hoping for a more driveable solution not out and out power.

Oh yes, I put it on a rolling road last week and it gave 224bhp and 218ft/lb - not bad for 162,000 miles!!

Hi Tazman, what was the outcome? Was it worth doing?

cheers

On 26/11/2016 at 15:39, Tazman861 said:

Hi all,

Any updates?

Any updates?

Well on its own probably not cos there’s no noticeable change anywhere, on a rolling road it’s slightly down on power but with the m52 decat manifolds plus a couple of other mods a remap should show some benefits but I’m going down the supercharger route and it should help with that

Well on its own probably not cos there’s no noticeable change anywhere, on a rolling road it’s slightly down on power but with the m52 decat manifolds plus a couple of other mods a remap should show some benefits but I’m going down the supercharger route and it should help with that

How’s that coming along Tazman861?

How’s that coming along Tazman861?

It’s coming along slowly[emoji849] I’m waiting to get the manifolds welded up but I’ve got nearly everything together, I need to buy an afr gauge and I’m hopefully doing a trial fit this weekend.