Nicko123

330ci Cabriolet

Hi all!

Newbie here!

Hoping someone may be able to offer me some advice?

I've had my 2001 330ci cabriolet a month now, got a flat drivers side rear tyre and stupidly limped down the road before I put the space saver on.

Had to drive for a couple of days on the space saver without any issues.

Changed the wheel, found the rim had cracks in multiple places so had to buy a replacement 8.5x19 CSL copy rim and 255/30/19 tyre.

Tyre garage fitted it today and off I drove, straight away heard rubbing and went back. Found the rim is now sat on the arch and I can't get a finger between the two. Looked as if the suspension had collapsed.

Suspension appears fine on other side and can get my hand between rim and arch.

Had to put the space saver back on which sits fine and seems to drive without issue (obviously much thinner).

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to start? Tyre garage, of course offered no advice..

Thank in advance!!

1 minute ago, Nicko123 said:

Hi Rich, thanks for the response.

Yeah it's got 235's on the front but the rear (where the issue is) are 255's and was replaced like for like.

Many thanks

Ahh sorry mate - i thought it was your fronts, i misread that. In that case I'd be looking at your spring on the same side - could have cracked on impact. Did you hit a pothole? With the wheel cracked as well it sounds like quite a big impact so i'd look at the spring first, then maybe the top mount. Does the car sit lower on that side now?

No worries!

Yeah will have a proper look in the morning as was dark by the time the wheel was changed, just thought it was worth asking in case anyone had experienced anything similar.

Doesn't appear to be any lower on the side in question but hard to tell with the space saver back on.

Just assumed I would be able to feel it while driving if the spring had failed. Drives fine.

Yeah seems it may have been a pothole, don't remember a particularly bad one though!

Thanks for your advice 👍

A friend's e46 passed the MOT, and when we swapped out the springs for coilovers a few weeks later, we found a snapped spring (with rust, not that recent). To drive, there wasn't a noticeable difference, so it's possible it's snapped.

Wonky e46s are a common thing, sadly. People will tell you it's by design to counter the weight of the driver, but official BMW documentation will tell you that's rubbish, so ignore anyone who tries to tell you otherwise :)

It might just need a different sized spring pad or something to raise it up a bit if it all looks OK.

Hi all,

Thanks for the input all.

Trevor.. spot on mate!!

Offset was a good 10mm out compared to the old rim!!!

Replaced the rim with an actual like for like replacement and now back in business!!

Never thought for a second about this when I brought the initial replacement.  Live and learn eh!

Thank you all for your assistance!!

Edited by Nicko123