Mugs

Head unit help

13 hours ago, Tim-Ci said:

Hi Dennis,

Glad it's all in good spirit!

Yes it was the 3rd issue in the list I've fixed, I've only had one Android unit. I accept the limitations that Eonon are based in the far East and talked to them using email as a result, and always had a prompt response. Overall they are cheap and cheerful units that offer a lot of goodies for the low price, and with a bit of care over what exact model is bought, can offer a satisfying purchase in my opinion. I think them describing themselves as a manufacturer might be ambitious.

For me, I can't get another 7" screen unit anywhere near the price that offers all the features mine has, looks fairly OEM, doesn't require cutting the heater box or have a pop out screen (I had one of those and it looks poor). To retrofit a BMW nav system will be expensive, time consuming and offer less features, although perhaps would give better sound and be more bulletproof.

So for me the Android unit is a good purchase, but they're not without their issues of course, generally speaking.

There are risks of course though with some of the Chinese variants, so I will do my homework accordingly in future to ensure I get a good one when I want to upgrade.

For the OP who just wants a fit and forget solution then I can't offer a recommendation for a bulletproof Android head unit, although I'm fairly sure there will be some hardware combinations that are spot on for sound quality, FM quality and phonecall quality as delivered, I just don't know which ones are the good ones to be honest.

This TBH.

The standard double DIN's look s**te in an E46 and the Andrive's don't fit properly.

IMO the only option if you want to have a radio with all the toys on it, that fits straight in and doesn't look completely s**t is to go for one of the knock-off chinese things.

16 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

Dontpannic - Basing statements on 'just' internet forum responses isn't good enough as it's only 'one' viewpoint. I've previously mentioned on this forum and others, that I'm within the automotive electronics industry and cover various sub sectors in order to gain my knowledge, experience, industry level insight and evaluations. I've spoken extensively in the past to Chinese factories and their representatives, 'middleman' brand representatives, various distributors in the UK and abroad, UK based businesses who've imported the units from China, actual customers who have them in their cars in order to get a more accurate picture. I've seen some of the above and their actual unit sold Vs units with issues/unhappy customers figures, seen figures to buy and distribute in order to have some factory backing and support etc. Although I can't give you 100% accurate figures, I'd still say that overall, the ratio to happy purchasers where their unit arrived working and continues to work longer term would be around 10-15%. The remainder would be the range of small niggles on arrival to issues that get worse over time to completely dead. When I find a chinese replacement unit, that has better quality internals and build and where the manufacturer provides a solid after sales warranty channel where I as a importer/seller can rely on all at a price that reflects better what the item is, I'll feel much more confident in selling and providing a guarantee to E46 owners throughout the UK. All that have tried so far in the UK over the last 6+ years or so aren't around anymore. 

Govich - That 'style' unit you show is a bit better than others which have the rectangle 'block' type buttons. Even so, the unit you show shows four buttons each side of the screen panel and the OEM has 6 and 5 are the same shape and one is a completely different shape. Many purchasers got units that had problems out of the box, some were small niggles, others were more annoying. Some where showstopping and yet more were the fact their unit's arrived completely dead. The lack of aftercare support for those who had more serious issues was what made many post up their experiences. This also tallied with my own research and knowledge I've gained that I mention above. Eonon have been removed from other forums (or kicked off?) due to many members experiencing issues and getting rubbish to nil support and many either just sold off the units where they could or junked them into the bin and lost their money. You've been one of the luckier ones with your unit :)

Mugs - which double DIN do you think you'll go for? I agree, when spending £200-500 or so on a unit, I'd want it to work as best as possible and reliably. If in the case of issues, I'd want a smooth and easy warranty service where I know the chances of a favourable resolution is much higher. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Hi Dennis, 

i am thinking of the Alpine ILX-700. I know it won't look as good as the android units but in my opinion it's the next best thing visually with the benefit of no problems (fingers crossed). 

Cheers

Mugs

16 hours ago, DennisCooper said:

1 hour ago, bennno2005 said:

This TBH.

The standard double DIN's look s**te in an E46 and the Andrive's don't fit properly.

IMO the only option if you want to have a radio with all the toys on it, that fits straight in and doesn't look completely s**t is to go for one of the knock-off chinese things.

I agree they don't look great but i don't think they look that bad. 

My problem is the single din looks out of place because of its close proximity to the heater control panel where the double din has the whole space to itself  

IMO, I would rather have a good sounding reliable head unit that looks ok than something that looks great with hit and miss reliability. 

18 hours ago, Tim-Ci said:

Looks tidy, good luck with it. I take it the heater box doesn't need modding with the Alipne then as it looks to be quite shallow.

I guess if you ever wanted DAB radio you could fit a Pure Highway or something similar.

Apparently it doesn't need any air box to fit. 

I can stream DAB through the phone so hopefully it should be a good unit. 

I know this has been bumped by a newbie so the discussion might not be entirely relevant any more, but reading through it seems as though December 2016 marked 12 months with my Android headunit. It's now May 2019, so I make that 3 and a bit years now with the Android unit, still working as well as it was the first day I got it.

It uses preferably outsourcing. It has a lot to offer, but there are also weak spots that should be considered.  Outsourcing development is really difficult to manage but here https://headworks.io/blog/How-to-manage-outsourcing-development-team you can read tips and build your perfect team. And what do you like more in this area? I mean Android or iOS?  I'd be grateful for your reviews.