Chris320cd

Rear Parking Sensors

Apologies as I'm sure this topic will have been covered in detail on here elsewhere but I cannot find it. What's the reason that rear parking sensors would suddenly stop operating without warning - no warning beep or anything? Is there a simple fix? Thanks.

Tried the WD40 trick but not successful. Going to have a listen shortly to see if I can hear the clicking sound. What if none of them click?. Could this be a fuse issue and if so, which one?. I've managed to celebrate the new year by scraping the car up against a wall. Front wing and passenger door damaged but I got away with it quite well. It's bloody annoying if someone else damages your car but when you do it yourself!. I was livid lol! A call to Chips Away may be on the cards - I think they can make a good job of it! 

UPDATE - listened to the sensors with the car in reverse and key in the correct position - nothing. Not a click to be heard. Then realised today that I have no reversing lights either (probably why I caught the wall!). This sounds like a fuse issue but having looked in the handbook, it says that the box is in the glove box with a flap that pulls down. Mine looks like a solid piece of plastic - can't see where anything opens. Am I being stupid? Are all fuse boxes in the same place??

If it's the same as my 330Ci then theres two white tabs at each end of the drop down fuse tray in glove box.

Open glove box and look up in side it at each end, can't miss them. 

Twist both of them 90 degrees (left or right, can't remember - might be opposite way for each side) this will release the fuse tray and it'll drop down.

Good luck. 

Edited by Ruesta

as above,they are like carpet clips,just need to be opened half way clockwise i seem to remember,and as for sensors,if you have any broken,buy landrover ones,cheaper but genuine..

SUCCESS and then failure...didn't realise that the fuse box hung from the roof of the glove box - found it easily after your advice, Checked the fuse and it had blown. Replaced fuse and hey presto! Reversing lights AND parking sensors working!! BUT then I've done a stupid thing! Topping the car up with oil I knocked the cap off the top of the engine and down into the engine compartment. Totally inaccessible. It seems to be resting on some sort of undertray under the car. My question is...being totally ham-fisted in the technical department, can I drive the car two and a half miles to the nearest garage to get them to take the undertray off to get the cap back and will a rag in the filler hole be safe or will it get sucked into the engine??? It would be laughable if I wasn't such a technical idiot. Your URGENT advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to take the car up first thing in the morning. Thanks.

If your engines ccv system is in good shape, it will suck the rag in. 

These engines run with internal vacuum. 

Its not hard to remove the undertray once the car is jacked up. I've had mine off a couple of times. 

The journey to a garage will probably lose the cap anyway, would vibrate off the undertray I think. 

7 hours ago, Chris320cd said:

SUCCESS and then failure...didn't realise that the fuse box hung from the roof of the glove box - found it easily after your advice, Checked the fuse and it had blown. Replaced fuse and hey presto! Reversing lights AND parking sensors working!! BUT then I've done a stupid thing! Topping the car up with oil I knocked the cap off the top of the engine and down into the engine compartment. Totally inaccessible. It seems to be resting on some sort of undertray under the car. My question is...being totally ham-fisted in the technical department, can I drive the car two and a half miles to the nearest garage to get them to take the undertray off to get the cap back and will a rag in the filler hole be safe or will it get sucked into the engine??? It would be laughable if I wasn't such a technical idiot. Your URGENT advice would be greatly appreciated as I need to take the car up first thing in the morning. Thanks.

Glad you got the fuse thing sorted, fingers crossed you retrieved your oil cap too.

If you managed to get the fuse box down you shouldn't have any probs removing undertray, all you need is a cross head (phillips) screwdriver and maybe some thin nose pliers if it still has the plastic rivet things at front, as mentioned above its very easy.... The screws holding the undertray up are held onto the undertray, they only need a half turn to release and wont come/drop out. If you dont have a safe jack put one side of car up on path, you'll be able to get under it then. It might throw an error when you start it without oil cap due to vacuum leak but any dash lights will go once restarted with oil cap back on.

FINAL UPDATE - promise to never mention the subject again!!. Was determined to get the car to the garage as getting to the tray was near impossible in the confined space I had. Never realised how low these cars actually are! Went against the rag idea, so got a jar lid, placed it over the hole and fastened it securely down with gaffer tape. Started the engine and oil oozed out everywhere. Back to square one! Then my neighbour came up with an idea - TOP TIP guys. He placed an aerosol lid over the hole, then used a thick car sponge over the top and pulled down the bonnet. This effectively sealed the hole and stopped it moving about. To cut a long story short, I got the car to the garage. Only two and a half miles but it felt like the longest journey of my life!! No dashboard lights came on. Car taken straight in, no oil had leaked and the added bonus - the cap was still sitting in the undertray. To top it all - there was no charge for the work either!

Thanks for your advice guys - much appreciated.

good you got it sorted, those undertrays are a nightmare for trying to retrieve dropped bolts/sockets from. Magnet on a stick has been my best friend since I got my E46, saved my hours of scraped fingers 

10 hours ago, Wolf Larson said:

good you got it sorted, those undertrays are a nightmare for trying to retrieve dropped bolts/sockets from. Magnet on a stick has been my best friend since I got my E46, saved my hours of scraped fingers 

yeh i have a telescopic magnet,£3-£4 from any car shop,even retrieved a half inch ratchet for me,but i could not find one of my hex bits one day,still never got it..

I'll be definitely getting a magnet on a stick in the future. Don't want to be in that position again!. Back to the original theme of the thread, the reversing lights and parking sensors have now stopped working again!!. Obviously another blown fuse which I'm taking to be a deeper electrical problem and a bugger to find. Back to square one...