MICK 330

PARKING SENSOR REMOVAL

Hi Gents,

I know this topic has been covered before but just to add what I found today.

The 2003 Touring sensor on the near side above the exhaust can just be pushed inward (should this have had clips like the vert? or has it been butchered before lol). A bit fiddly but a 10min job tops! I have not changed any others so might just be this one?

The 2005 Convertible was a bumper off job as has been stated in other posts. Not hard once you locate all the bolts/clips BUT...don't push the sensor too hard(like you did when replacing a touring one) because you will push the sensor surround through too! There are 2 clips on the side of the sensor & they wont let go by being ham fisted like this caveman did a few hours ago!

I had the bumper say half off just enough to keep it attached to the car but leaving enough space to get my hands in (i.e I didn't see these 2 clips). I then pushed the sensor with my thumb(like I did with the touring one). Bingo it came out but took the bloomin surround with it! So ive had to bodge it with super glue which I'm sure wont last for long lol.

So on a Vert take the bumper completely off...unlike this idiot trying to cut a corner!

My car is a 2005 E46 118ci facelift convertible. I now have a malfunctioning rear parking system. The problem, unhelpfully for diagnostic purposes, is intermittent. Sometimes it works normally, other times there is a continuous, higher pitched sound, as described in the owners handbook. My reversing lights work every time and the warning buzzer always sounds if I exit the car with side lights left on so reversing switch and dash speaker seem OK.

Some have said that the working sensors emit a clicking sound, others that the working sensors can be felt vibrating. I hear no clicks whether working or notand just 2 of the sensors are vibrating, even when the other two can still cause the correct warning sounds when touched or approached from the sides of the car. 

Given what Mick 330 said about the need for bumper removal, I was surprised to find that I could from underneath the car get a hand to the sensors. a bit tight, but maybe enough to remove the clips and pull in the sensor units. Has anybody done that? At 82 I don't bend that well and don't fancy struggling experimentally if this is known to be impossible!

One thing I've not found in any of the online forum chains is any mention of an (intermittent) earthing fault as the cause of sensor malfunctions. Has anyone found this to be the fault. Given that new sensors are about £90 each I'm loathe to buy one or two simply to try a swap!

Finally, via online shop Autobahn-Style, eBay is presently offering kits containing 4 sensors, a control unit, cabling and buzzer for £18-04 and said to be suitable for several BMW models including the E46.  Has anybody tried one of these kits as the economic option.

Any answers or helpful suggestions would be much appreciated!

Cymro

The rear bumper is actually very easy to remove, would be quicker to take it off and not struggle to try and replace the sensors.

Mine have intermittently worked for years, finally brought a set from eBay, and still having issues.

The Ines I got needed to be painted, and they are very sensitive to the thickness of the paint.

I've since just unplugged fuse 24.

If you do want them working, I advise you bite the bullet and book it in at BMW, there sensors come painted, plus you'll get free coffee [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk