WillE46

High mileage E46

Hi guys, 

Looking to buy my first E46. Specifically a 320cd, I have considered a 330cd but doesn't seem to be many of them about!

I've found a couple with the spec I like but with high miles eg. 165k, 175k.

Now I'm working on the presumption that the swirl flaps have been deleted at that mileage and its been relatively well maintained! 

However would you guys recommend buying one of these? Or wait until a lower mileage one comes up? I know its pretty it or miss if there are issues or not. But I found one with 104,000 miles with clutch issues ( DMF and clutch replacement needed ) But the ones with higher mileage don't have the same issues. 

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Will

FWIW, I bought a 330d with 182k miles, rang it for ~4-5 years, taking it to 250,000 miles. It had some new bushes, a new clutch/flywheel, and some other consumables. That was about it though.

Buy on condition, not milage, IMO.

Thats exactly the sort of thing that helps. Its good to know that others have done the same with little issue. Currently looking at a 330cd with 175k, FSH, new clutch, DMF, shocks and lower arms. New MOT ect. Slight rusting on the arch, something I can get sorted I would think? 

Oh, I should add, mine was dead at 250k. It's being broken for parts now. It still ran, but the fuel injection died in some way or another which I couldn't figure out, and the remaining options were all lots of time/money, which considering the condition of the body, wasn't worth spending.