Ricardo

[Help] 1 rear running light out and no rear fogs - 2004 E46 Saloon

Hi,

I guess I need your help, please!

On my 04 E46 Saloon, 1 of the 3 rear running lights is not working (passenger side). On top of that the rear fog lights are not working as well :(

I've double checked and someone (previous owner maybe) did the 'Rear light earth fix' connecting the brown wire to the bulb holder. I've checked the bulb and test it on the other side and its fine. Everything looks ok, apparently... apart from one of the bulbs don't lit. mad.gif Drivers side no problems.

img_3134.jpg

Regarding the rear fog lights, they simply don't work. The orange light come up on dash but nothing happens. 

I'm a bit frustrated confused.gif Any thoughts? 

Thanks in advance!

10 minutes ago, Trevor said:

Broken wires in the flexible loom section from car to boot lid. 

Does it interfere with one of the running bulbs not working? Its the middle bottom one (outside tail light, not the one on the inner lights of the boot)

Could well do. 

Somebwires may loop into and out of boot lid. 

When mine went I had two broken earth wires and several more that were nearly broken through. 

Think it was six earth wires in total. Boot lid has loads of wires going into it through that flexible section. Something may loop. 

Could also be the light unit itself that is faulty tho. 

Hi,

I've checked the best I could the loom to boot lid. Without cut it open I got to see 2 wires with a small cut, exposing the inside, nothing serious tho. The wires were intact, not broken. Apart from that everything looked ok. I didn't had the courage to rip the thing apart to check the full length of the wires, but tbh they look solid...

The bulb holder seams ok, no corrosion :/

Another thing to point out: the boot lid doesn't open from the button, just from the key fob or lock.

Send pic on which lifts not working. If it's lights only on the boot lid. Then it looks like the wiring loom. Do you have a multimeter 

21 hours ago, jayla said:

Send pic on which lifts not working. If it's lights only on the boot lid. Then it looks like the wiring loom. Do you have a multimeter 

Hi,

its one bulb on the outside rear light :/ and the fogs on the inside (boot lid)

I do have a multimeter but don't know how to use it... 

Any ideas how to check the wires fully without cut open the loom rubber? 

Thanks again!!

IMG_3134.JPG

4 hours ago, lozevans said:

Have you checked that the right type of bulb is fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes mate! I tried the bulb from the drivers side on this side and nothing. Both bulbs work on drivers side, is not a bulb problem :(

Ok pretty sure it's the same problem I had with interior boot lights not working and you already checked it  a bit but... need to give the wires in the flexible boot lid boot a good tug. Unplug the boot lid boot at either end and pull the wires at either end one  at a time. Did this with mine after they all looked intact and a couple broke. It's a notorious weak point. I have temporarily re-joined mine but have bought a load of wire to redo the wiring from just below the boot level to just inside the boot lid.

Just waiting for better weather and the time to do it. The boot lid boot was split on mine anyway so have got another one of those too.

Edited by Judgee

Quick update: I tested the bulb holder with a multimeter. Looks like there is no power reaching that specific bulb connection. The other bulb receives around 3.5?! is that correct?

Judgee, I'll follow your tip asap :)

has the earth mod been done..fixed mine although not the same problem,i had random lights working  on rear,and quick flashing indicators