E36 Daz

No indicator warning light

As the title really,all the indicators are working,the hazard switch illuminates when it's on but there is no warning light on the dash....and no audible 'clicking' that you usually get.

Is it just likely to be the bulb ?

if the lights work then its not the bulbs. it could be the wiring harness to the display. check he fuse also.

Tur

13 hours ago, jayla said:

if the lights work then its not the bulbs. it could be the wiring harness to the display. check he fuse also.

So far as I can tell every other light (actaully they are LEDs aren't they ) on the cluster appears to be working.

I'll have a closer look tomorrow when I have more time.Strange one

I've had a chance to take a proper look now.

So far as I can tell NONE of the warning lights are working for any lights at all,that includes indicators, high/low beam and fogs.

Fuses (3) appear OK.

I've had a code reader on it and no faults showing.

I've also unplugged the cluster connectors and plugged them back in again.

Still not working.

Any suggestions ?

Some Googling seems to point to the k-bus being the cause and sometimes just disconnecting the battery for a period can fix it so that's what I'm trying next

That didn't work and now I notice my wndows and steering wheels controls don't work either.

Edited by E36 Daz

A further update.

The wipers aren't working either.

I had a sparky out who diagnosed a duff body control module.I've replaced mine with one sourced off Ebay that has the same part number ( see my other thread in the diagnostic section ) and it's exactly the same.Will it need coding ?

Hi 

It's the instrument cluster 

had this a few times 

try another set and send yours off repair stating your problems as not un heard of 

pm you 

The cluster has been tested mate,it's fine and anyway that wouldn't explain why the wipers,windows and steeering wheel controls don't work either

Just saying as I have had the same problem a hand full of times .yes wipers indicators and steering wheel controls and the digital screen of the clocks go on and off when they want !

new clocks and everything works 😀

Other than the normal issues of replacement clocks 😂

Finally got it sorted.

It was the head unit ! Appears it was affecting the k-bus,preventing communications so in effect shutting down the various circuits.

Disconnecting the stereo ( JVC dab unit ) brought everything back to life.

What is strange is that the stereo had been in the car for 5 years.

I did actually briefly reconnect the JVC to retrieve a CD and quickly checked the wipers etc and they were working.

Anyway I've temporarily refitted the factory head unit and everything is still working.

The guy did say if I bought a new aftermarket head unit he could wire it so it didn't effect the k-bus.I'm presuming he means running it's own power cable direct to the battery rather than thru the loom.

Anyway I'm back on the road :D:D

20 hours ago, E36 Daz said:

Finally got it sorted.

It was the head unit ! Appears it was affecting the k-bus,preventing communications so in effect shutting down the various circuits.

Disconnecting the stereo ( JVC dab unit ) brought everything back to life.

What is strange is that the stereo had been in the car for 5 years.

I did actually briefly reconnect the JVC to retrieve a CD and quickly checked the wipers etc and they were working.

Anyway I've temporarily refitted the factory head unit and everything is still working.

The guy did say if I bought a new aftermarket head unit he could wire it so it didn't effect the k-bus.I'm presuming he means running it's own power cable direct to the battery rather than thru the loom.

Anyway I'm back on the road :D:D

The only thing that would affect the KBus on an aftermarket headunit is steering wheel controls. I bet it's the steering wheel control module which comes with the radio which is knackered.

4 hours ago, dontpannic said:

The only thing that would affect the KBus on an aftermarket headunit is steering wheel controls. I bet it's the steering wheel control module which comes with the radio which is knackered.

Interesting you should say that.It was a cheapo adaptor off Ebay.

When the k-bus goes down I'm assuming there will be 1 circuit that isn't working that then affects the other circuits,yes ?

In which case,the radio was working but the steering wheel controls weren't and the guy has disconnected everything when really he only had to disconnect the steering wheel adaptor.

That makes sense to me.

I was in the market for a new head unit anyway so I'll try it with and without the adaptor to make sure when I get round to installing it.

Cheers

Edited by E36 Daz

Yeah, that's how I'd put it. The Steering Wheel control boxes intercept the K-Bus traffic from the steering wheel buttons module and translate it to an analogue signal the headunit understands. My best guess would be that the intercept box was faulty and instead of receiving K-Bus messages, it was flooding the network with gibberish and stopping random things working.