cbreddie

gearbox oil change

Can anyone tell me which is the drain plug and which is the oil filler for the gearbox on a 2004 e46 320d touring with a manual 6 speed box?

The beast has done close to 275,000miles and I feel its time to change the oil. (gears are getting a little difficult to select from time to time)

Many thanks in advance,

Eddie

Edited by cbreddie

Unsure with the diesel but I have a 6 speed manual (petrol) and there were 2 plugs. The one underneath was drain and the one up the side (probably has a label next to it) is the fill. It was on the drivers side if I remember correctly. 

Thanks, we have looked all over the gearbox and cant find any markings which suggest oil filler or drain. I have been told that they are fitted with a "life time" oil which doesnt need to be changed. but what does lifetime mean? my car has done 275,000 miles which for most cars would be more than a lifetime. 

I am working on the assumption that the oil has been put in and there must be a way of getting it out?

I will have another look on the drivers side next time I get underneath.

Thanks again

I'm pretty sure all the gearbox oils are "filled for life" but you don't have to look around for too long to find out that it's recommended to be changed at some point. I changed mine at around 120000 miles but I have read that every 100000 is about right. Whatever the case although the oil can be relatively expensive it's MUCH cheaper than a new gearbox!

On 04/03/2017 at 08:11, AndyC_67 said:

I'm pretty sure all the gearbox oils are "filled for life" but you don't have to look around for too long to find out that it's recommended to be changed at some point. I changed mine at around 120000 miles but I have read that every 100000 is about right. Whatever the case although the oil can be relatively expensive it's MUCH cheaper than a new gearbox!

Any ideas where the drain plug and filler are?

12 hours ago, cbreddie said:

Any ideas where the drain plug and filler are?

I would guess somewhere on the gearbox... one towards the bottom of the box which will be the drain, and one halfway up which will be the fill. Make sure you remove the fill plug first to make sure it's not seized before draining out your fluid.

theres a lot of bolts on the side of the box, I dont want to remove the wrong ones and bugger the gearbox. I have had a look and theres nothing that looks like a drain plug. But then if the box is supposed to be sealed for life then they wouldnt have a drain plug anyway. hmmmmmmm

...apologies for reviving an old thread, but interested to know if you successfully completed your gearbox oil change?

I have the same 6 speed box and attempted to undo the the fill plug this earlier week, without luck, as it is seized. The plug face is a smooth sided disc, about 22mm diameter, with an 8mm allen/hex socket in the centre. I could feel the socket rounding so stopped applying pressure. Is there a knack to loosening these plugs? (I did soak the plug with penetrating spray a couple of times beforehand.)