Robotson

Can't clear airbag light in PA Soft

Finally got PA soft working!

Found the right side door airbag fault in the SRS section, but when I clear the fault, the light on the dash disappears for a moment and then comes back. 

Does this mean there really is something wrong with the airbag then? Previous owner said he caused the error when he took the door card off to adjust the window. 

Also the car needs the e46 coupe airbag recall - I've got the letter to the previous owner but it hasn't been done yet.. But then wasn't that recall for the passenger side? I guess if i take it in for the recall I could ask about the drivers door airbag too.

Also does anyone know, if the letter was to the previous owner, does that matter?

1. The light will only stay on if there is a currently occurring fault. If for example you unplug the drivers seat pretensioner, the airbag light will come on, however, if you plug it in again and restart the car, the light won't illuminate as the fault isn't occurring. If your airbag light is on, there's a current issue with a component, and if PA Soft is telling you it's the drivers door airbag, then there's a current problem with the drivers door airbag. You'll probably need to replace it (or code it out, but I don't recommend that).

2. The recall is for all E46's. There are currently two airbag recalls in place for the E46 - Passenger side dashboard airbag inflator, and Drivers side steering wheel airbag inflator. The recall replaces those two airbags only. They won't do anything about your faulty airbag as part of the recall, it would have to be booked as additional work.

3. Letter address doesn't matter, it's just the address they had on file when the letter was drafted. In fact, I got my passenger airbag recall done with no letter at all and have booked in the driver airbag, again, without a letter.

Here's what I'd do - I'd remove the door card and have a look at the airbag and wiring to see if there were any obvious cut cables or disconnects. If everything looked OK, I'd get down to the local scrappy, relieve an E46 of it's door airbag and fit to your car and ensure that it clears the light. Once you've cleared the light, phone your local BMW dealer service department, book it in for it's airbag recall work. They'll only need the cars registration (original, if it has a personal plate on it) or VIN number.

Good luck!

Edited by dontpannic