jaminpetre

2002 320d touring suspension

hello,

I have owned my 320d touring for about 18 months now. it sailed through its MOT this week with a couple of advisories. One of them was that there is slight misting on the o/s rear shocker and they advised me to think about getting it replaced. my last car was a mk3 golf gti that had been lowered about 40mm all round. it handled like a dream and both me and the wife loved driving it. don't get me wrong, the 320d is a vast improvement over a mk3 golf but both me and the wife find the car a little soft in terms of handling and seeing as we are going to have to replace a shocker anyway we are looking at a few options.

I guess my question is, what sort of suspension upgrade is best for an e46 touring? should I simply replace the shocker with an OEM item and fit some lowering springs or would I be better off buying a set of aftermarket shocks and springs? someone suggested I should slam a set of coilovers on but i'm not too sure if that's the way to go.

any suggestions will be welcome and appreciated.

cheers

jamin

I had a set of Eibach pros on mine which is a decent 25mm-ish drop on the front and firms up the ride. As you need new shocks, pair the Eibach with a set of Bilsteins B4 or B6.

some food for thought there. thanks mjn.

what are peoples thoughts on the coilovers available on eBay? ive seen a few sets going for under £200 but most seem to be around the £250-£300 price range. are they worth a look? my only concern with coilovers would be how to set them up correctly.

Go for the eibach/bilstein option, its tried and tested over and over mate If you get them with some new top mounts all round etc, its a like for like replacement with a credible improvement of stance and drive. If you cant afford decent coilovers (£500+), its not worth risking anything with the cheaper sets on ebay and then the added complication of getting them set correctly for you.

All IMO.