iluvmye46

Is it possible to steal an e46 stereo without breaking any windows?

Hello everyone,

I upgraded my car stereo from factory standard to a Pioneer one with phone connection, as my Jabra cruiser bluetooth was getting temperamental and the UK law has become stricter around usage of mobile while driving.

I got up today, unlocked my car as usual with the fob and realised that my new car stereo has been stolen! It was stolen without any car windows broken. I am scared, in shock and I feel violated. I feel like they'll be coming back for my car or maybe even break into my house with my family indoors. I do not want my little children to experience any of this.

Money is so hard to come by and I was actually praying that this 120k mileage car would run for a few more years.

Anyway, I am wondering is it possible to break in without breaking any windows? Does this mean they have a spare key for my car? Also what are people doing for home security these days? Right now, I feel like finding the money to install an alarm, camera and anything else in my home!

Finally, is it worth reporting to the police on 101?

Thank you all.

IMAG1748.jpg

Edited by iluvmye46
Change of topic

Wow!

Didn't think people stole car radios any more. But if no windows are broken, i can only assume you left it unocked or they have a key. But, if they had the key, why didn't they steal the car as well?

26 minutes ago, mjn said:

Wow!

Didn't think people stole car radios any more. But if no windows are broken, i can only assume you left it unocked or they have a key. But, if they had the key, why didn't they steal the car as well?

Thank you for your response. You raised very important points. I have to say that locking my car is second nature to me.  The car was packed right in front of my house and I did not even hear the door close. I did not hear any alarm go off either. Or is there a way that thieves can manage all this without triggering the alarm or breaking the glass? The car is old and unattractive, so that might be a reason not to steal it.

Now, I feel confused and deflated.

Yes report it to the police via 101

My car was ransacked last summer, took the child's seat emptied the glove box. Found out, as the car is parked right in front of the house, my kids playing with my keys, unwittingly unlocked my car! 

Was the car unlocked when you went to it? I can't see how this can be done if the car was locked. 

I'm forever finding both my cars unlocked when i return to them as the fob buttons have been pressed in my pocket. The most annoying is the boot release on my convertible - coming back to the bloody car and the dash display showing the bootlid open... arghhh. So yeah, I think you may have inadvertently unlocked it for this to happen - stereos really don't get stolen these days so it could just be an opportunist trying the doors on cars as he walks passed and got lucky with yours being unlocked.

as rich said,i do it loads,but only the boot release,which can hardly tell its open anyhow.but could esily gain access this way if they wanted to..

99% sure you left the car unlocked. If there was no alarm going off - it wasn't enabled - so car was still unlocked.

I used to do this ALL the time on mine (thankfully nothing ever stolen), so I coded in the audible "beep" when you lock/unlock. It had the indicator flash anyway, but I found I don't always look at the car as i'm walking away and lock it remotely. Makes it easier to tell if you locked it with the beep.

3 possible scenarios, 1, you left your car unlocked.... 2 Someone has a remote that is coded to your car, resolve by re-programming all the remotes you have back into your car which will shuffle any other keys off, 3 accidental push of the remote in pocket or from the house. 

I would suggest 1 & 3 are far more likely than 2!

12 hours ago, Foe said:

Was the car unlocked when you went to it? I can't see how this can be done if the car was locked. 

The car was locked when I got to it and I had to unlock it with the fob. Then I noticed that the microphone was not on the wheel. That's where I thought something wasn't right. And Voila! The car stereo was gone!

While the £200 spent on the stereo was painful, the feeling that accompany the theft is way worse! I have contacted, a few security companies and they are all quoting a minimum of £1500 for CCTV and alarm system. That'll be my next focus, next time I'll be able to see what actually happened.

I have this cctv good for what ut costs and you can see it from your phone when out or away 

FLOUREON® 4CH Full 960H Realtime CCTV DVR Video Surveillance Recorder with 2x 1000TVL Night Vision Metal Weatherproof Outdoor Bullet Cameras - Home Security System P2P Cloud Remote Viewing, Motion Detection

9 hours ago, Markxr said:

I have this cctv good for what ut costs and you can see it from your phone when out or away 

FLOUREON® 4CH Full 960H Realtime CCTV DVR Video Surveillance Recorder with 2x 1000TVL Night Vision Metal Weatherproof Outdoor Bullet Cameras - Home Security System P2P Cloud Remote Viewing, Motion Detection

How much did yours cost Mark?

I had something similar - forgot to lock the car one evening and when I came down in the morning, two doors were on the latches rather than completely closed, both gloveboxes were open with the contents strewn over the inside of the car. Nothing taken, luckily. 

Coded in the beep on lock so I remember to lock it, and also grabbed a 2 camera CCTV kit from Maplin for £150 and wired it in at home to act as a deterrent for future.

They must have been walking up the road checking door handles.

I feel you. The feeling that someone has been in your personal space, rooting through your possessions, because they feel like they're entitled to things that aren't theirs. It's a horrible feeling.

Edited by dontpannic

£1k for CCTV?!? Yowzer!

You can get a Yale kit (i'd never get Yale, but its a brand most people recognise) for £300!!

http://www.screwfix.com/p/yale-y804a-hd-8-channel-cctv-digital-video-recorder-kit-4-cameras/4634j

This 2nd one is better:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/swann-swdvk-445502-uk-4-channel-security-system-2-cameras/3514p#product_additional_details_container - it's got everything you need to install it yourself.

I had a professional install a full system for £400 for me!

You need to shop around mate.. That £1k quote - they're trying to take advantage of you.

I got a Swann kit from Maplin. Cheap and works well. Similar to this one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-dvr4-1525-4-channel-500gb-cctv-kit-with-2-cameras-a22ur

As for double press the lock button, it only disables the interior sensors if you press it twice in quick succession when locking, if you push it when it's already locked it just turns on the interior lights temporarily.

Edited by dontpannic

On 3/20/2017 at 08:41, dontpannic said:

I got a Swann kit from Maplin. Cheap and works well. Similar to this one.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/swann-dvr4-1525-4-channel-500gb-cctv-kit-with-2-cameras-a22ur

As for double press the lock button, it only disables the interior sensors if you press it twice in quick succession when locking, if you push it when it's already locked it just turns on the interior lights temporarily.

If you disable the interior sensors like that, doesn't the clown nose LED flash quickly?

I've not tried it myself but I lock the car using the remote with the door open quite often, put the keys in my pocket, grab what I need then when I close the door the car locks. Before I close the door the LED flashes quickly.

Or am I thinking about something else? lol