dontpannic

How To: Retro-code Tyre Pressure Monitoring using DSC

Facelifted E46's use the MK60 DSC module which has a version of tyre pressure monitoring included which compares wheel speeds of all four wheels, and when there is a speed difference (usually meaning low or deflated tyre), illuminates a light on the dashboard.

Caution: Doing this interferes with the cars software and if you don't do it correctly could cause issues with the control modules. Only proceed if you are confident!

NOTE: Coding this in without the reset / initialise button in your centre button box means you have to use INPA to reset the system after a pressure change.

Tools Required:
Coding cable
INPA
NCSExpert

1. Plug in your coding cable

RZZO7Ww.jpg

2. Start your engine

3. Open INPA, check you have communication.

4. Open NCSExpert and load your coding profile.
GiLWEkE.jpg

5. Click FG/ZCS/FA, then ZCS/FA f. ECU (F1 then F3)

6. Select E46
8uHHxWr.jpg

7. Select AKMB

cUOhrYm.jpg
Wait for it to grab your VIN and FA. Then click Back.

8. Click Process ECU (F4)
8zJGYzO.jpg

9. Select AKMB
N0VqAeu.jpg

10. Click Change Job (F2) and make sure CODIERDATEN_LESEN is selected (to read from the module)
wnKmbxZ.jpg
8zJGYzO.jpg

11. Click Execute Job (F3) and wait for 'Coding ended'
Iwr2KKF.jpg

12. Navigate to C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\ and open FSW_PSW.TRC in Notepad or NCS Dummy.
You need to change the following values:
RDKS - nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
CAN_RDS - nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
AKUSTIK_RDKS - nicht_aktiv -> aktiv
WARN_MEDIUM_RDKS - piezo -> piezo (change to gong if your car has a gong)

Save the file as: FSW_PSW.MAN in the same folder (make sure it actually saves as a .MAN, not a .txt!)

13. Back in NCSExpert, click Change Job (F2), select "SG CODIEREN" and click Exectute Job (F3)
Iwr2KKF.jpg
Wait for 'Coding ended'. Your clocks will reset.

14. Click Change SG/SET, and now select MK60
BTmGxfh.jpg

15. Ensure the JOBNAME is CODIERDATEN_LESEN (if not, hit Change Job (F2) and select it from the list)
ZIU3efJ.jpg

16. Click Execute Job (F3) and wait for 'Coding ended'
I0eDChX.jpg

17. Navigate to C:\NCSEXPER\WORK\ and open FSW_PSW.TRC in Notepad or NCS Dummy.
You need to change the following values:
REIFENDRUCKWARNSYSTEM - nicht_aktiv -> aktiv

Save the file as: FSW_PSW.MAN in the same folder (make sure it actually saves as a .MAN, not a .txt!)

18. Back in NCSExpert, click Change Job (F2), select "SG CODIEREN" and click Exectute Job (F3)
FaI82iw.jpg
Wait for 'Coding ended'. Your clocks will reset.

19. Turn off your engine, wait 10 seconds, then restart your engine.
You should notice the tyre pressure warning light illuminate amber, then red, then back to solid amber. This indicates the system needs calibrating.

To calibrate (Sorry, no screenshots). Open INPA, E46, Chassis, MK60, Activate, RPA, then Initialize RPA.

Turn off your engine. Wait 10 seconds, then restart the car. 

You should now notice that when the ignition is switched on, the TPMS light will illuminate amber, then red, then switch off. Congratulations, the system is now functional. When the system detects that a tyre is losing / has lost pressure, the amber light will illuminate.
OQJNpC6.jpg
L5NhJmy.jpg
2pfkHDX.jpg
When you check and refill the tyres, you will need to reset the system. You can plug into INPA, E46, Chassis, MK60, Activate, RPA, then Initialize RPA to calibrate it.

For the more advanced retrofit, you can replace your button bar with one which contains a TPMS button, then run a wire between Pin 40 on the DSC plug, and Pin 2 on the button bar multiplug. This will enable you to reset the system with the OEM button.

Edited by dontpannic

Awesome, thanks!. Pin 40 on the multi plug under the bonnet i take it?

If there is no button fitted, if you calibrate at the correct pressure, if you then filled them all up at the same time, before the light was triggered, is there actually a need to reset it? The car will still be expecting a certain pressure, the calibration target won't have changed?

Failing that, I guess a simple push-to-make connection (with a connection to what? Earth? 12v?) Could do instead of the button bar...

(I hate the button bars - individual buttons are much easier. Finding DSP, dsc, and rear blind is impossible, let alone heated seats and/or tpms!)

Yes, it's the multiplug connected directly to the DSC module by your brake servo. Unfortunately I have no idea what signal the button feeds to the DSC module. One would assume +12v, but I'm hesitant to try that!

As far as I understand it, the calibration only measures the difference between the rotational speeds of the wheels, similar to how the DSC works in the first place. If you had all the tyres at 20psi when the system was calibrated then filled them all up to 40psi I would assume the system would not need resetting as the difference between the rotational speeds would be the same. It's only when one wheel changes rotational speed that the system would trigger. It's obviously not a replacement for a full on sensor in each wheel system, but it will do the job.

What I think we need is someone with this system and the button to get a multimeter on the button to see what it actually does and feeds to the DSC module. If it is literally feeding +12v or an earth to the pin on the DSC module there's nothing stopping us fitting a push to make switch next to the brake fluid reservoir simply to reset the system rather than getting the laptop out.

Agreed on the button bars. Can only find partially complete ones or complete ones - I have Harmon Kardon, Heated seats and DSC, but the only option I have to get the TPMS button I believe is an M3 bar, including a Sport button which won't do anything (and can't do anything on a diesel!), and because it's from an M3, hideously expensive!

Edited by dontpannic

That echos my thoughts - it's just looking for a differential value. I suspect once it's triggered it'll need resetting, bit until then, just as long as they stay within the calibration range...

I might see if i can dig out a wiring diagram at some point. Shouldn't be too hard to work it out, although it would be nice to have it confirmed. 

Well, I found a wiring diagram, but no idea what sort of signal is flowing down that wire... It just confirms pins 2 and pin 40...

Capture_2.jpg

(Old version of Java needed? It must call for the XP VM needed to map my E30!)

Edited by TriggerFish

I wouldn't be so sure - the wiring diagram above also shows a connection to ASC, as does some of the writing on the left hint at it being possible. Unless, of course, it's been tried and failed, in which case, ignore me!

The DSC TPMS on my 'vert managed to save my bacon the other day. After topping up my tyres I was out for a drive, and heard a slight tyre howling noise. Thinking nothing of it, about a minute later the TPMS light came on.

The rubber seal from my cheap metal valve cap had got wedged onto the valve pin and was slowly letting the tyre down.

The tyre had about 20psi left once I'd pulled over and got the compressor on it. I think the TPMS came on just in time to prevent serious tyre damage/blowout.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Just picked up a switch panel with the added tyre pressure switch and I plan on running the extra wire from the DSC module to the switch panel.

Looking at the wiring diagram (https://i.imgur.com/zcOvSzs.png) I need to run a wire from pin 40 of the DSC module (X18303) to pin 2 (X1869) of the switch panel.

Does anyone know where I can find some information regarding the actual pins I need to purchase to fit inside both the DSC module plug and the switch panel plug?

On 5/17/2018 at 13:28, 2clubsp said:

Has anyone tried to retrofit just the TMPS switch to an existing switch panel? I'd imagine it must be possible. Wouldn't mind doing this to mine.

It's a no go unfortunately - the switch panel is not modular, sadly.  You need to try and find a second-hand one with the config you need.

Just started doing this, Got the coding done just need to let the air out of a tire to test. also got a switch panel but i need to find the plug X1869 and then find a pin to fit the MK60 plug. When i get the panel plug i will measure pin 2 with a multi meter 

Iv got the DSC only button with the 4 wire plug, Im hoping to remove the 4th green wire and put it somewhere in the 23pin plug then just add the extra wire to pin 40

Edited by Daniel.

Got it all working, had to replace the DSC unit. Pin 40 needs to see 22 mohm to ground all the time and 2 mohm when the RPA button is pressed. 

RPA will not work with all mk60, the OP has got a MK60.C12. RPA option in INPA is grey with that module, there is no way to Initialize it. The only one I know works is a C13 with part number on pump 6763959 and that should always be matched with 6764088 on the back of the black DSC part. 

Also need to add $251 to the VO

On 29/11/2018 at 23:55, Daniel. said:

Got it all working, had to replace the DSC unit. Pin 40 needs to see 22 mohm to ground all the time and 2 mohm when the RPA button is pressed. 

RPA will not work with all mk60, the OP has got a MK60.C12. RPA option in INPA is grey with that module, there is no way to Initialize it. The only one I know works is a C13 with part number on pump 6763959 and that should always be matched with 6764088 on the back of the black DSC part. 

Can confirm it definitely does work with the C12. I was driving back from France and had a deflation and the warning did appear on the dash with a beep.

On 29/11/2018 at 23:55, Daniel. said:

tpms will work on mk60.c12. replaced mine today, which was a c02 for a newer one c12 and is working on c12. at least I've coded it and all worked well, and the options on inpa are not greyed out. 

So I've fitted a button bar and wired everything in - but haven't yet coded this.  Now I'm wondering if my MK60 is the right version....

My white DSC sticker has a part number 34.51 6 759 045 - but RealOEM can't seem to find this, however I try and enter it.

I know the OP states 'facelift cars' have MK60 DSC but I think I do, I also checked on my dash and there's a light on the dash which illuminates when I run that sequence to get them all to light up.

Anyone know?