Sign in to follow this  
The Laird

Key Charging

Hello.

Question. My key battery  I think is knackerd.

It has lost all its power.

Does the key have to be in the one click or 2 click position to charge or does  it just need to be in the ignition to charge.

Tia

Edited by The Laird

Pretty sure it charges while driving. Not just while it's sat in the ignition? Could be wrong though..

The charging ring/aerial for the immobiliser ic is only active when the ignition is on. It may be active when the doors are unlocked but I've never checked that. When the car goes to "power down idle", after the doors are locked (15 min I think), then it definitely becomes inactive.

I have recent experience of trying to change the battery by slicing the key open and replacing the battery for the same make and model of battery but the pins were in a different place on the battery and it became such a faff and ended in a fail.

I went to my dealer and found them to be the cheapest and easiest place to get anew one. Also, I'm not convinced how good your key will look once sliced open and glued back together. I think I paid £140 for the new key and they coded it for me etc. This was on the Mrs 325i.

There are services available to post it off and they send it back but do you want the key to the car on your drive being posted back to your address where the car is just sat there? You could get it sent to a different address I suppose but it will still be glued back together.

Timpsons wanted £180.00 for a genuine key!

Kirkynut