Ashley_r84

Clubsport won't start.

Hi all, my starter motor failed last Monday evening out of the blue (car was running perfectly and then just wouldn't start!). This was replaced yesterday with a second hand starter from a very well respected breakers but now yet again doesn't want to start.

Picked up from the garage earlier and it was fine and started first time without fault, got back home and an hour later I have nothing. Sounds like a booming noise from the speakers inside when I turn the key so may be an electrical fault somewhere but I'm at a loss to what it could be.

£200 down already on starter and fitting to now find I'm back where I started.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what could be the issue?

I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks in advance.

Ashley

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

I did think possibly the alternator but haven't had it checked yet. Battery I'm sure is fine, the AA checked that last week and said it was fine. I've also spoken to my garage over the phone and he suggested a bad earth from my stereo but I'm sure I didn't have to earth it when I fitted it and 100% had no issues since I fitted that 2 years ago.

A couple of years ago I thought my started motor was dying (intermittent non-start). Spent a few weeks diagnosing various components and found the ignition switch was the culprit. £10-15 from breakers. 10 minute job. Might be worth a punt?

I ended up rigging a push button switch directly to the starter motor confirm starter motor was fine. Might wanna try that to make sure the new starter isn't duff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys.

Seems it was the starter motor again. Bought a new one and had it changed and luckily all is working well again👍

On 4/28/2017 at 12:54, bry1990 said:

bad earth perhaps when replacing starter motor?

If the battery voltage is too low to start you'd likely get a loud clicking noise and dashboard flickering. 

10/10 when you've got a bad cell (battery) the clocks on the e46 look like Michael J fox and jitter to f**k when trying to start the car. looks insane when you see it!