jools182

325ti water leak

I've just bought a 325ti sport

I was aware it had a water leak, I am pretty sure it's the expansion tank

How easy are they to change, and the more important question, how easy is it to bleed after I have changed everything? (I had a nightmare bleeding the system on a mk1 golf years ago)

One last question, what is the recommended coolant to use?

many thanks

Hi mate

fairly easy job. Might have a bit of an issue getting the tank off the holder but with a bit of force it will come out. 

Bleeding ain't hard but a bit time consuming. 

I personally use ready mix red/pink coolant on mine which I find is good. 

You can find videos on YouTube on how to change expansion tank and how to bleed the system 

There is a easy solution to removing the expansion tank without loosing skin :D ( I lost quit a bit on my e39 )

So glad a found this when I was tackling my Expansion tank on the E46 :thumbup:

https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1756608-DIY-E46-Expansion-Tank-Removal-Made-Easy

Edited by DaveNE

Thanks Ibrahim and Davve

It's losing a lot of water and I can't really pin down the leak. I ran it for about 5 mins yesterday while parked up and after I switched off I could hear a hissing that seemed to be around the expansion tank area. I did see a tiny, tiny jet of water, but couldn't see the direction it was coming from (expansion tank side or radiator side)

I filled it up again this morning before setting off for work and after about 4 miles, the low level light was on again :mellow:

If you change the tank, get a genuine beemer part (£120) the cheap ebay ones can go bang sooner than you want, These cars can be a pig to bleed out, so I imagine the heater matrix was set to hot when bled and if so you are getting good heat out of it, my car drinks a lot when driven hard, although mine was pressure tested I'm sure its the gasket going slowly, I can't see any leaks.  

I ended up taking it to an independent bmw garage today. The fairly recent (cheapo) radiator was split. As the expansion tank was the original from 2003 I had that changed as well. £327 :mellow: