Jim330ci

Rear Clunking Noise

Hi Everyone,

I have a noise coming from the rear of the car, it only happens when I put my foot down from being stationary, or when I am going around 5mph and put my foot down, its a clunking/crunching noise, I can feel it when it does make the noise and it only lasts seconds until I reach 20-30mph, if I drive off slowly it won't occur.

Some people have told me its the diff, or something to do with the diff, but surely wouldn't the diff make a noise if I am driving around 40mph and then I put my foot down? I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are, and if anyone has any similar noises, I can't find anything on youtube and the only thing that I can think of is the shock mounts. My car is a 330ci Auto.

Many Thanks in advance :)

Propshaft coupling ? (big rubber bung thing that takes a real pounding, a kind of rubber shock absorber between the end of the prop and the diff, mines be going clonking for years, it could also be the diff mounts as well.

Thanks for the replies guys, I had the car in the garage some time ago and mentioned it to them, they said it was more than likely the rear shock mounts, but with me having very little mechanical knowledge I didn't know to mention the above back then, I am off for on a holiday soon that will probably comprise of a 1000mile round trip so I'm a bit worried whether this could cause a few issues.

Is there any way of me testing (DIY?) to see if it could be something related to the propshaft, diff or subframe before I can get it into the garage?

Many thanks again,

J

The propshaft coupling is underneath the car, just behind the gearbox (so under your elbow as you sit in the drivers seat). The only way to get to it is to jack the car up, I think you can just about see it with the heatshield in the way?

You can see the subframe mounts from under the car but you have to jack it up and get right under there. But if you don't know what to look for then you might miss it.

Tbh it doesn't sound like it's drivetrain related to me.. The coupling went on my car years ago and you could tell the clunk wasn't from the rear of the car. It would clunk when changing gears - usually 1st and reverse. Not when you're already moving..

I don't see how the diff could be at fault as it'd happen all the time?

Don't mess about mate - if you're unsure, get it to a garage ASAP. Even if it's for 5mins up on a lift so they can have a look at it.

Thanks Momo,

I'll have a look this weekend, see if I notice anything out of the ordinary. I will get it booked into my local garage, its been like it for 3-4 months now and nothing has changed in terms of performance, or handling etc, I'm just slightly worried as I have a long trip planned.

Thanks for your help again :) 

J

A bit of a long shot, but my previous e46 saloon, had a similar problem. Found out, the rear NS hand brake pin came off causing bits to rattle round in the hand brake hub at low speed. 

Agree with Momo, if in doubt, get it checked out. 

Keep us updated too. 

There's also the rear diff. mount that can perish over time. Mine has cracks in it and I get a tinkling noise if I am on/off the throttle in 1st gear, and listening for it - I think that bush is causing it. A lot cheaper to replace than subframe bushes that's for sure.

It's not got any worse in two years now, so that job is on the 'to do' list, when there are no other jobs that need doing first.

Edited by Tim-Ci

Hi All,

Thanks greatly for all the help, I had a mechanic go over it and he told me it was the Centre Propshaft Mounting. Just as an FYI, if anyone else has this issue I purchased -http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-E46-3-Series-Centre-Propshaft-Mounting-Bearing-MEYLE-26127501257/272705460075?_trksid=p2054502.c100227.m3827&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908103841%26meid%3D42a96bf9ead44e50a8357f9e6e5d29e4%26pid%3D100227%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D10%26sd%3D272705456311. I have had good results from Meyle in the past, and ofcorse, you get 2 year warranty so its a win win if it works :).

J

I just had mine replaced recently.. The bearing had separated from the rubber housing so the prop was flapping all over the place.

Reading the symptoms you listed again - makes sense. lol.

FYI - this one is OEM.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0068MY3H0

Febi make the OEM bearing, BMW stamp their logo on it and sell it for 3/4x the price. Hopefully the Meyle one lasts! :)

Thanks for the info, I have had this rear chunking type noise for sometime as well, but it's weird because sometimes it disappears and I don't hear it at all. Will have a look at what is mentioned here anyway.