02Anders

Advice on discs and pads??

So just finished typing up a rather lengthy intro, in which I warned all of you that I would be asking a bunch of noob questions.  So this being my second post, here goes...  ;)

My newly purchased 330Ci Sport needs new discs and pads on all four corners.  But which ones would you guys recommend?
First of all, I don't plan to trackday my E46, so there's really no need for all sorts of fancy big brake kit upgrades.  I've previously had bad experiences with drilled discs cracking between the holes and equally with grooved discs getting ridges along the grooves leading to the car juddering heavily under braking.  So I'm probably most keen on just getting some regular vented discs.  But which brand??  I'll definitely NOT be buying some cheap no-name Korean parts!  But should I opt for OEM parts?  I think Brembo offer a standard spec disc for the 330Ci too?  Or how about Ferodo?  Or maybe ATE?

What say you lot?
Any shared experience and/or advice would be much appreciated...

Edited by 02Anders

Hi 02Anders,

This is an interesting read, I hope my reply isn't pointless, but i'm surprised to hear you've had bad experiences with drilled and/or grooved, I have just purchased and had my second set of drilled and grooved + pads fitted, FYI I purchased (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302334450548?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) for the front, and likewise for the rear, I have always had really good results from MTEC, and I personally think its quite a reasonable price given the pads come with the discs. The only reason I replaced was because I'm planning a long road trip, plus I think the front was due anyway. It will be interesting to see what others say.

J

Hi Jim,

No input is pointless, so thx for sharing your views...  ;)

Perhaps I was just unlucky with my previous experiences with drilled and/or grooved discs??  I dunno??
Granted it's a while back, and maybe technology has moved on.
Those MTEC discs and pads certainly do seem very reasonably priced - I'll give you that much.  Had a quick google of MTEC brakes, and it's clearly a UK based company.  But does anyone know whether they do their own production here in the UK, or get it done for cheap in Korea or similar?
I too am quite interested to see what others have to say...

Thx Fishman.  :)

So I take it that's a set-up you're running yourself?
Those AP vented discs - are they drilled and/or grooved, or are they just regular vented discs?
And regarding braided hoses, I've previously installed the same on cars that I've used for trackdays, so I do understand all the benefits they give.  But just out of interest, do you really feel it's a beneficial upgrade for a daily car that'll only be used on public roads?  I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm asking a genuine question as it's always interesting to hear someone else's perspective...

It's a good setup that was shared and recommended by former BTCC techy I've been running this pair ever since I don't think you'd be disappointed. I've had the cross/drilled discs in the past ideal for the track but do suffer from brake dust build up over time and the juddering feedback through the steering is something to consider too, for some not so comfortable for the every day sedate ride into work 😱but others may not agree. Just really enjoy the feel and responsiveness with braided lines fitted i think it's a fairly cheap and good everyday setup to have ....why not eh?

Please do post what you go for would be good to see what other recommended combinations of pads and discs are.

From my experience with replacing the brakes on the E46, I would comfortable recommend the Brembo discs and pads.

On my previous E46 Saloon - A modified 330d, I enjoyed 'spirited driving' and never had any judder or fade problems after I replaced my front discs and pads for Brembo items. I did however change the lines for braided and flushed the brake fluid (I find changing fluid is something often overlooked)

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic so it will absorb water over time and then deteriorate, loosing its boiling point properties etc. I change the fluid in my cars every 12-18 months. If you track the car, its usually good practice to change it more regularly.

30 minutes ago, RMJ said:

Brake fluid is Hygroscopic so it will absorb water over time and then deteriorate, loosing its boiling point properties etc. I change the fluid in my cars every 12-18 months. If you track the car, its usually good practice to change it more regularly.

Thanks for the info.

I can only agree with RMJ regarding brake fluid!
Back when I was seriously into trackdays with my E36, I can't even begin to count the number of times I experienced someone rock up with a ma-he-sive big brake kit on their choice of tracktool (which they were clearly very proud of!), only to find that they had either left the old brake fluid in the brake lines, or maybe at best swapped it for some cheap no-name brand of brake fluid.  To me, it just defied belief...  :unsure:
Always remember, your brakes are only as good (or bad) as your brake fluid!!
I always buy a high quality brand of brake fluid.  Back when I did trackdays, I would religiously flush the whole system at least once a year.  Nowadays with my daily car, I may extend that as far as two years, but only because I still buy quality brake fluid.

Anyway, I promised to let you guys know which brand of discs & pads I decided to go for.
Well, I've recently heard good things about Apec.  Personally I have not previously tried their products before, but my 330Ci now has new Apec discs, pads and brake sensors on all four corners.  Once I've done enough miles to have an opinion about them, I'll make sure to give you guys some feedback.
Oh, and there's all fresh ATE brake fluid in the whole brake system now as well!  ^_^

MTEC have cracked on my Rx8, my friends Type R and a MX5, admittedly that is hard track use.

We're all running genuine discs now with blue stuff pads (I'm just trying a set of orangestuff on Thursday) and the results have been superb.

Plus BMW offer a performance disc which I have, and they have been excellent over many trackdays and thousands of road miles.

I just pop in BREMBO pads for road use FYI and save the BLUESTUFF for track work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will look at my invoice later, they have done many trackdays so far, using different pads and haven't even shown a sign of cracking, I've had various other discs crack. Money well spent in my opinion.

I will look at my invoice later, they have done many trackdays so far, using different pads and haven't even shown a sign of cracking, I've had various other discs crack. Money well spent in my opinion.

On 15/06/2017 at 21:14, Fishman68 said:

Hi and welcome to the zone, I'd recommend AP vented discs paired with pagid pads & braided brake lines FTW.

I have to agree with Fishman68, I just replaced all my braking system, discs, pads callipers, new fluid and fitted braided lines front and rear. I didn't go with anything exotic for the disks, just used Mintex as the last set of decent discs I had warped within a year so I figured go with Mintex and if they warp again its not too tmuch money lost. Pads wise I went with EBC which so far have been great. The braided lines and new callipers have really helped with stopping power, she sttops way better than she did with a standard  set-up, well chuffed. They look cool too.

Steer clear of Meyle discs. Meyle make great parts usually but their dics are pants, didn't last a year!

1 hour ago, Daz 330 Cs said:

Red looks great :wub:

20170514084414_IMG_0968.JPG

Yeah they look great! New wheels? Love them, look like Ispiri's??

Thought you had gloss black ISR10'S though? Black version of mine?

£500 on discs!! Yowzer.. You pay for quality though I suppose!

I know they have mixed reviews but I've got EBC Yellowstuff pads (2nd set) and their dimpled/grooved discs on mine. Discs are maybe a little soft (still on the 1st set, initially seemed to be wearing quite quickly) but then I've had them for about 6-7 years now (about 40k on them) and still plenty of meat left on them..

They were about £500 all in too.