BeemerGaz

Warning light just illuminated, help needed please

Hi folks,

Wonder if anyone can help on an issue with one of the warning lights on the dash coming on. I've just got back from the coast for the weekend and having stopped the car for a bit to have a quick drink (30 mins or so) a light has come on when I re-started the car to drive the last few miles home.

It was a yellow one which didn't concern me at first and having got home I've looked in the Handbook for information and it said the following...

'Engine. Exhaust emission values have deteriorated. Please arrange for the problem to be examined by BMW Service'

Is this something which needs looking at asap or something not to worry about too much? Or perhaps a bottle of Cataclean or similar might help!

Any help would be gratefully appreciated...thanks very much,

Gaz

Thought it worth adding that the car doesn't seem to be losing power, rough idling or bad fuel consumption.

Also it's a 2002 330ci with about 102000 miles.

Could it have something to do with the fact that it's ruddy hot outside? (yep, I'm clutching those long plastic drinking aids with that comment)

Gaz

I had this a while ago Gaz but it may not be the same problem on yours?

My 330 didn't run much different (mpg went down a bit) with a hole in the lower intake boot . Its in 2 sections so have a good grope around both. If it is this then replace BOTH at the same time. There`s a thread on this "Replacing lower intake boot M54" by Matt_330 . Its a fiddly job getting at the jubilee clips.

I presume this light can warn of a million things on the engine but maybe worth a look mate.  

Thanks for your reply Mick,

I replaced those two intake pipes with two new ones bought from the Stealers when I bought the car last year as they were covered in blue tape and obviously leaking.

I'll have a look at them tomorrow when I get back from work...and dear god was it a fiddly job getting them off and the new ones on...resulted in a severe loss of skin and many many expletives.

I may have to book it in for a quick diagnostic check tomorrow or Tuesday.

Hi folks,

Thanks very much for the replies.

Quick update on the above matter...

Left for work on Monday morning at about 5:30am to find the light still illuminated...damn!

But...when I finished work and started the car about 2pm the light didn't come on and ever since then it hasn't come back. I've used the car in the exactly the same way that I normally do apart from not having done the 60 or so miles that I did coming back from the coast last Sunday.

I suppose it's not really worth me forking out £50 or thereabouts for a diagnostic check if they might not find anything wrong.

I'll do another update in a while on the appearance or not of said yellow light